Tip Plasty for a Bulbous Nose – Nasal Tip Contouring & Mini Nose Job in Sydney by Dr Kernohan
A Tip-Plasty or Mini Nose Job can make aesthetic improvements to your nasal tip with the help of less invasive surgical techniques. The refinements enhance your nasal proportions that will add more balance to your face and can have a shorter recovery time.
Dr Michael Kernohan is a specialist plastic surgeon in Sydney. Find out more about tip rhinoplasty surgery and what to expect before and after the surgery. Learn what the treatment involves, including the recovery time, what benefits it brings and what risks are involved.
Download Dr Michael Kernohan Rhinoplasty Guide
What is Tip Rhinoplasty?
A Tip Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that is done to alter the tip of your nose. It can improve your nasal function by repairing an existing defect. Tip Plasty involves modification of the cartilage tip with the help of excision, dissection, repositioning, and augmentation to achieve the desired results.
Am I a good candidate for Tip Rhinoplasty?
You may be an ideal candidate for Tip Rhinoplasty if:
- You have a bulbous nasal tip
- You have a long nasal tip that needs shortening
- You wish to lengthen your short nasal tip
- You have a low nose tip
- You wish to get rid of a hooked, ‘Parrot Beak’ nose tip
- You wish to make alterations to your nasal tip projections
- You have a flat/ blunt nasal tip
- You have a narrow nasal tip
- You are dealing with a collapsed nasal tip post-traditional rhinoplasty
- You are in a physically and mentally healthy state
- You have realistic expectations from the treatment
- You do not smoke or can quit it for the specified time duration.
Book a consultation with Dr Kernohan now to find out if you meet the criteria to undergo a tip rhinoplasty.
Benefits of Tip Rhinoplasty
The benefits of Tip Rhinoplasty are not limited to purely aesthetics. It has plenty of medical benefits as it improves nasal functioning by making breathing easier for you. The surgery can be performed with septoplasty that essentially treats a deviated or crooked nasal septum. As a result, you can get easy breathing and reduced snoring.
If you are concerned about the appearance of your nasal tip or flared nostrils, a Tip Rhino might be able to help. You can get a more defined nasal tip, an improved nasolabial angle, and more balanced facial features.
All in all, Tip Rhinoplasty can help you with the lifting of a drooping nose tip, sculpting of a bulbous or wide tip, bulbous tip reduction, rebalancing of nostrils, straightening of an undesirable curve, nostril flare reduction, and revision of a previous rhinoplasty.
Tip Rhinoplasty Procedure
Tip Rhinoplasty can take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to perform. It isn’t as complicated as the traditional Rhinoplasty. The procedure can be performed under local or general anaesthesia, depending on the techniques used. Dr Kernohan will advise you on the best option for you depending on the individual nose characteristics.
Tip Rhinoplasty can be either performed using an open or closed technique depending on requirements. To give you a brief overview, the closed technique involves making an incision on the inside of the nostrils and has no visible scarring. The technique significantly reduces the operation time.
In an open technique, Dr Kernohan will make a small incision on the skin in between the two nostrils which can lead to scarring.
Tip Rhinoplasty improves the nasal appearance by dissecting and targeting the nasal cartilage. It reduces the size of the nostrils and makes the nose look flattering. It can be performed using any of the three classic methods listed below:
1. Cartilage Tie Plasty
Your surgeon will tie the alar cartilage to reduce the width of the alar cartilage, which makes your nose look less bulbous and pointy.
2. Cartilage Implant
With this technique, Dr Kernohan will add an implant to the nasal tip. It will add structure to your nose and reduce the flat nasal look.
3. Cartilage Reposition
This technique is ideal for those who have a short, upward-turned nose or who wish to enhance their nose tip after a traditional Rhinoplasty. Dr Kernohan will reposition the septal cartilage to give your nose a well-defined look.
In a similar fashion, Alar Reduction is performed on the skin that covers the top of your nose that involves using one of the two methods mentioned below:
- Removal Method – In case of removal, the excess alar skin is removed in order to minimise the appearance of flared nostrils which leads to the increased height of the nasal tip. The incisions are generally made on the outside and lower sides of nostrils in order to reduce scarring
- Tie Method – This method brings about the same results as the removal method with a shorter recovery time. The incisions will be made on the inside of each nostril. Post that, the skin between both nostrils is tied to minimise the width of the nasal alar
Recovery from Tip Rhinoplasty Procedure
During the recovery, you might experience slight bruising, discomfort, and pain that can be treated with common analgesics. Dr Kernohan will prescribe painkillers to help relieve pain. Dr Kernohan might ask you to wear a nasal splint for at least a week after surgery. It protects the bony and cartilaginous structures.
It is recommended to stay away from strenuous physical activities especially for the first two to three weeks after the surgery. Avoid wearing glasses for at least five to six weeks post-tip rhinoplasty to ensure proper healing.
Avoid picking or blowing your nose during the recovery period. Taking the right precautions will make the healing go smoothly and avoid any complications.
You will need to quit smoking before and after surgery as it can worsen lead to infections, brusing and wound breakdown. Stay clear of alcohol during this time until you stop taking the pain medication. Make sure to take all your meds on time and always attend your follow up appointments.
Risks and Complications of Tip Rhinoplasty
This is a surgical procedure which means it carries common risks and complications. Dr Kernohan will tell you about the risks and complications in detail and steps to take to minimise them during the consultation.
Some of the risks include infection, temporary nasal numbness, bleeding, bruising, delayed wound healing, and the risk for secondary rhinoplasty.
It is important to know that the satisfaction rate for tip rhinoplasty is very high and the risk of complications is quite low. However, you still need to be very careful when it comes to post-surgical care.
For more details about the risks and complications of surgery, check out Dr Kernohan’s risks of surgery page.
Results of Tip Rhinoplasty
You can see the results of tip rhinoplasty as soon as the swelling goes down. It can typically take 6 to 8 weeks. The results are considered permanent and you will be able to enjoy your new nose for the rest of your life.
Tip Rhinoplasty Cost Sydney – How much is a Mini Nose Job in Sydney?
Tip Rhinoplasty Prices in Sydney are around $8,000 to $25,000. The price can vary based on the experience and expertise of the surgeon, the surgical facility, and location, but also your personal characteristics and the complexity of the procedure that needs to be performed.
Visit Dr Kernohan’s pricing page for more information about fees.
Funding Your Mini Nose Job Surgery
If the nose tip surgery procedure is performed for health reasons like a breathing issue, you might get Medicare to cover for some of the costs. Your Health Insurance company may also contribute if you have the right level of health cover. Find out more about using a Medicare item number.
If you need to pay for the tip rhinoplasty surgery yourself, check out a tip rhinoplasty payment plan and financing options available.
How to find the Right Tip Rhinoplasty Surgeon Sydney
Start by making a list of experienced, highly qualified specialist plastic surgeons or ENT nose surgeons. Always ask other medical professionals you trust and look at before & after photos of past patients.
Here are a few tips that can help:
Tip Rhinoplasty FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get about Tip Rhinoplasty:
Can a tip rhinoplasty fix a bulbous nose?
- Yes, tip rhinoplasty is designed to fix the tip of the nose. So, it can help improve a bulbous nose by reducing the size and roundness of the tip.
What is the best age for a mini nose job?
- There is no definite right age to get rhinoplasty done. However, if you are between 18 and 40 this is considered an ideal range. Most plastic surgeons do not recommend having any kind of nose alterations before 18 as your nose is still growing and has not fully matured.
Will the tip of my nose get smaller after rhinoplasty?
- Yes, the tip of your nose will be smaller after tip rhinoplasty.
What is a bulbous tip?
- A bulbous tip is a round, wide nasal tip that lacks shape and definition.
Can bulbous nose be reduced?
- Yes, a bulbous nose can be easily reduced with a Tip Rhinoplasty.
Why is the tip of my nose getting bigger?
- Your nose can continue to grow even in early adulthood. Post that, any changes you notice are not actually linked with the growth of the nose. They are mainly a result of changes to your skin and cartilage that can impact the shape of the nose.
How can I make my nose slimmer?
- The only way to permanently make your nose slimmer is with the help of Rhinoplasty.