Tip Plasty for a Bulbous Nose – Nasal Tip Contouring & Mini Nose Job in Sydney by Dr Kernohan
- Unhappy with how the end of your nose looks?
- Want to get rid of a bulbous nose tip?
- Want to achieve a smaller, more balanced nose?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, a tip rhinoplasty might be able to help. A Tip-Plasty or Mini Nose Job can make aesthetic improvements to your nasal tip with the help of less invasive surgical techniques. The refinements enhance your nasal proportions that will add more balance to your face and can have a shorter recovery time.
Dr Michael Kernohan is a specialist plastic surgeon and top nose surgery expert in Sydney. Find out more about tip rhinoplasty surgery and what to expect before and after the surgery. Learn what the treatment involves, including the recovery time, what benefits it brings and what risks are involved.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Facial Rejuvenation Guide
What is Tip Rhinoplasty?
A Tip Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that is done to alter the tip of your nose. It can improve your nasal function by repairing an existing defect or simply enhancing the appearance. Tip Plasty involves modification of the cartilage tip with the help of excision, dissection, repositioning, and augmentation to achieve the desired results.
Am I a good candidate for Tip Rhinoplasty?
You may be an ideal candidate for Tip Rhinoplasty if:
- You have a bulbous nasal tip
- You have a long nasal tip that needs shortening
- You wish to lengthen your short nasal tip
- You have a low nose tip
- You wish to get rid of a hooked, ‘Parrot Beak’ nose tip
- You wish to make alterations to your nasal tip projections
- You have a flat/ blunt nasal tip
- You have a narrow nasal tip
- You are dealing with a collapsed nasal tip post-traditional rhinoplasty
- You are in a physically and mentally healthy state
- You have realistic expectations from the treatment
- You do not smoke or can quit it for the specified time duration.
Book a consultation with Dr Kernohan now to find out if you meet the criteria to undergo a tip rhinoplasty.
Benefits of Tip Rhinoplasty
The benefits of Tip Rhinoplasty are not limited to purely aesthetics. It has plenty of medical benefits as it improves nasal functioning by making breathing easier for you. The surgery can be performed with septoplasty that essentially treats a deviated or crooked nasal septum. As a result, you not only get a well-sculpted nasal tip along with easy breathing and reduced snoring.
If you are concerned about the appearance of your nasal tip or flared nostrils, a Tip Rhino might be able to help. You can get a more defined nasal tip, an improved nasolabial angle, and more balanced facial features.
The nose procedure can improve your self-confidence and stop negative self-talk. Moreover, the results of the procedure are permanent and are less complicated than the traditional Rhinoplasty. Overall, the procedure has cosmetic, medical, and psychological benefits.
All in all, Tip Rhinoplasty can help you with the lifting of a drooping nose tip, sculpting of a bulbous or wide tip, bulbous tip reduction, rebalancing of nostrils, straightening of an undesirable curve, nostril flare reduction, and revision of a previous rhinoplasty.
Tip Rhinoplasty Procedure
Tip Rhinoplasty can take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to perform. It isn’t as complicated as the traditional Rhinoplasty. The procedure can be performed under local or general anaesthesia, depending on the techniques used. Dr Kernohan will advise you on the best option for you depending on the individual nose characteristics.
Tip Rhinoplasty can be either performed using an open or closed technique depending on requirements. To give you a brief overview, the closed technique involves making an incision on the inside of the nostrils and has no visible scarring. The technique significantly reduces the operation time.
In an open technique, Dr Kernohan will make a small incision on the skin in between the two nostrils which can lead to scarring. The scar won’t be clearly visible though.
Tip Rhinoplasty improves the nasal appearance by dissecting and targeting the nasal cartilage. It reduces the size of the nostrils and makes the nose look flattering. It can be performed using any of the three classic methods listed below:
1. Cartilage Tie Plasty
Your surgeon will tie the alar cartilage to reduce the width of the alar cartilage, which makes your nose look less bulbous and beautifully pointy.
2. Cartilage Implant
With this technique, your surgeon will add an implant to the nasal tip. It will add structure to your nose and reduce the flat nasal look. Sometimes, the implant placement will be preceded by fat removal in case you have more fat on the tip of your nose. The surgeon will ask you to undergo the procedure with cartilage tip-plasty to achieve the desired aesthetic.
3. Cartilage Reposition
This technique is ideal for those who have a short, upward-turned nose or who wish to enhance their nose tip after a traditional Rhinoplasty. The surgeon will reposition the septal cartilage to give your nose a well-defined look.
In a similar fashion, Alar Reduction is performed on the skin that covers the top of your nose that involves using one of the two methods mentioned below:
- Removal Method – In case of removal, the excess alar skin is removed in order to minimise the appearance of flared nostrils which leads to the increased height of the nasal tip. The incisions are generally made on the outside and lower sides of nostrils in order to reduce scarring.
- Tie Method – This method brings about the same results as the removal method with a shorter recovery time. The incisions will be made on the inside of each nostril. Post that, the skin between both nostrils is tied to minimise the width of the nasal alar.
Recovery from Tip Rhinoplasty Procedure
During the recovery, you might experience slight bruising, discomfort, and pain that can be treated with common analgesics. Dr Kernohan will prescribe painkillers to help relieve pain. Dr Kernohan might ask you to wear a nasal splint for at least a week after surgery. It protects the bony and cartilaginous structures.
It is recommended to stay away from strenuous physical activities especially for the first two to three weeks after the surgery. Avoid wearing glasses for at least five to six weeks post-tip rhinoplasty to ensure proper healing.
Avoid picking or blowing your nose during the recovery period. Taking the right precautions will make the healing go smoothly and avoid any complications.
You will need to Quit smoking before and after surgery as it can worsen lead to infections, brusing and wound breakdown. Stay clear of alcohol during this time until you stop taking the pain medication. Make sure to take all your meds on time and always attend your follow up appointments.
Risks and Complications of Tip Rhinoplasty
This is a surgical procedure which means it carries common risks and complications. Dr Kernohan will tell you about the risks and complications in detail and steps to take to minimise them during the consultation.
Some of the risks include infection, temporary nasal numbness, bleeding, bruising, delayed wound healing, and the risk for secondary rhinoplasty.
It is important to know that the satisfaction rate for tip rhinoplasty is very high and the risk of complications is quite low. However, you still need to be very careful when it comes to post-surgical care.
For more details about the risks and complications of surgery, check out Dr Kernohan’s risks of surgery page.
Results of Tip Rhinoplasty
You can see the results of tip rhinoplasty as soon as the swelling goes down. It can typically take 6 to 8 weeks. The results are considered permanent and you will be able to enjoy your new nose for the rest of your life. There is a chance that a revision rhinoplasty may be required in future as your nose ages.
Tip Rhinoplasty Cost Sydney – How much is a Mini Nose Job in Sydney?
Tip Rhinoplasty Prices in Sydney are around $8,000 to $25,000. The price can vary based on the experience and expertise of the surgeon, the surgical facility, and location, but also your personal characteristics and the complexity of the procedure that needs to be performed.
Visit Dr Kernohan’s pricing page for more information about fees.
Funding Your Mini Nose Job Surgery
If the nose tip surgery procedure is performed for health reasons like a breathing issue, you might get Medicare to cover for some of the costs. Your Health Insurance company may also contribute if you have the right level of health cover. Find out more about using a Medicare item number.
If you need to pay for the tip rhinoplasty surgery yourself, check out a tip rhinoplasty payment plan and financing options available.
How to find the Best Tip Rhinoplasty Surgeon Sydney
Start by making a list of experienced, highly qualified specialist plastic surgeons or ENT nose surgeons. Always ask other medical professionals you trust, read online reviews, and look at before & after photos of past patients.
Here are a few tips that can help:
- Have a close look at the credentials and experience of the surgeon – look for a specialist plastic surgeon, not an undertrained doctor or so-called cosmetic surgeon
- Make sure that the surgeon performs nose surgery on a regular basis
- Read plenty of online reviews to make sure patients have a positive experience with the surgeon
- Look for before and after photographs of past patients
- Attend a consultation and make sure the surgeon answers all your questions and you feel completely comfortable
Tip Rhinoplasty FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get about Tip Rhinoplasty:
Can a tip rhinoplasty fix a bulbous nose?
- Yes, tip rhinoplasty is designed to fix the tip of the nose. So, it can help improve a bulbous nose by reducing the size and roundness of the tip.
What is the best age for a mini nose job?
- There is no definite right age to get rhinoplasty done. However, if you are between 18 and 40 this is considered an ideal range. Most plastic surgeons do not recommend having any kind of nose alterations before 18 as your nose is still growing and has not fully matured.
Will the tip of my nose get smaller after rhinoplasty?
- Yes, the tip of your nose will be smaller after tip rhinoplasty.
What is a bulbous tip?
- A bulbous tip is a round, wide nasal tip that lacks shape and definition.
Can bulbous nose be reduced?
- Yes, a bulbous nose can be easily reduced with a Tip Rhinoplasty.
Why is the tip of my nose getting bigger?
- Your nose can continue to grow even in early adulthood. Post that, any changes you notice are not actually linked with the growth of the nose. They are mainly a result of changes to your skin and cartilage that can impact the shape of the nose.
How do you get rid of the fat on the tip of your nose?
- Tip Rhinoplasty is very helpful to get rid of the excess fat on the tip of your nose.
How can I make my nose slimmer?
- The only way to permanently make your nose slimmer is with the help of Rhinoplasty.
Medical References and Further Reading for Nose Tip Surgery
- Mayo Clinic Article on tip rhinoplasty
- E-Medicine article on managing a Broad Nasal Tip
- FPSAM Article on Nasal Tip Contouring
Dr Michael Kernohan – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon providing a wide range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery for the face, nose, breast and body.
He also offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and a range of cancer treatments using the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for both public and private patients and currently has appointments in five Sydney hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities.
His main clinic is now located in Gregory Hills and he has 4 other locations – Bowral, Liverpool, Surry Hills (city) and Campbelltown Clinic – servicing patients in Sydney Southwest and Southern Highlands.