Arm Lift Surgery – Upper Arm Reduction – Brachioplasty Sydney by Dr Kernohan
An arm lift, arm reduction or brachioplasty is a plastic surgery procedure that can help eliminate excess skin and fat from the level of the arms.
Genetics, age, extreme weight loss and hormonal imbalance can cause excess arm skin that hangs down or wobbles.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan can help you achieve your post-weight loss goals with an arm lift surgery. He is a highly experienced plastic surgeon and performs arm lift surgery in Sydney’s Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands.
Download Dr Michael Kernohan Excess Skin Reduction Guide
What is Brachioplasty?
Brachioplasty is a plastic surgery procedure that alters the appearance of your upper and inner arms. During the surgery, Dr Kernohan will remove excess fat, and skin from between the armpit & upper arm to the elbow to give your arms a toned look.
The Benefits of Brachioplasty Surgery
Here are the benefits of undergoing an arm lift surgery:
Removal of Excess Skin and Fat
Some people struggle with a large amount of excess skin and fat between their elbows and arm pit. This is a troublesome area for many as it is quite visible.
Improved Tone and Shape
An arm lift can help improve the tone and shape of your arms by tightening the tissues underneath the skin. It can give you an arm lifting effect.
Smoother Contours and Skin
The arm lift procedure will result in smoother contour and firmer skin. This happens due to the correction of the shape of your upper arms.
Well Hidden Scars
Contrary to popular belief, the scars of the arm lift surgery will be well hidden under the arm. Scars also fade over time and you can have scar minimisation treatments too.
Why Get an Arm Lift Surgery?
An arm lift surgery might be a good solution if you experience any of the following:
- You have sagging skin around your upper arms
- If you are dealing with rash, sweat because of excess skin around the arms
- You want to improve your overall level of comfort
About the Arm Lift Surgery
The arm lift surgery generally takes up to 3 or 4 hours, depending on the complexity of each case. On the day of the surgery, Dr Kernohan will begin the process by marking your arms for incisions.
There are multiple ways of doing an arm lift based on the results you want. The most common one is making incision on the inside of the arms or on the backside of your arms. Another incision option includes an armpit incision that extends from the elbow to the armpit.
The surgery is performed under general or local anaesthesia. Once the anaesthesia is administered, Dr Kernohan will create incisions, guided by the marks on your arms. He will remove excess fat with the help of liposuction, tighten or reshape the tissue on your upper arms. Then your skin will be pulled back over the tissue, the incisions are sutured and the area is covered with bandaging.
Recovery after Arm Lift Surgery
Initially, after the surgery, you will have drains placed in your arms to help you get rid of the excess fluid that could otherwise accumulate in the area. Dr. Kernohan will also ask you to wear a compression garment that will help you with the swelling.
Dr Kernohan will hand over a list of post-operative instructions to follow at home that will cover incisions care, medications, warning signs and a schedule for follow-up appointments.
Tips for Arm Reduction Aftercare
- You’ll need to quit smoking during the recovery period as it can hinder the healing process and lead to potential complications such as infections, the death of the skin tissue and the opening of the surgical incisions
- It is best to take at least two weeks off from work and give yourself time to rest and restore before resuming work
- Avoid clear of any strenuous physical activities for at least two to four weeks after the procedure
- Take care of your incisions as per the instructions given by Dr Kernohan. Make sure to keep them clean and dry at all times to avoid infections
- Take all the medication prescribed by Dr. Kernohan regularly to eliminate pain and discomfort
- Drink a lot of fluids and aim at eating a healthy diet that is low in sodium and includes lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- If you notice any signs of infection or symptoms that were not discussed with Dr Kernohan, immediately get in touch
Arms Lift Surgery Results
In about six weeks’ time, your arm swelling and bruising will subside significantly and your results will become more visible. Note that your results will continue to improve over time. The results of the arm lift are typically long-lasting.
Potential Risks and Complications of Arms Lift Surgery
Just like it is the case with any other surgical intervention, an arm lift surgery is associated with certain potential risks and complications. There are specific risks such as visible scarring and general risks such as developing an infection post-op.
Some of the risks and complications associated with the arms lift surgery can be avoided just by choosing your plastic surgeon wisely and following his recommendations to the letter. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not rush things during the recovery period.
You can have a look at the potential risks of undergoing plastic surgery.
How Much Is an Arms Lift Surgery in Sydney?
The arm lift surgery costs from $12,000 to $20,000 in Sydney. The procedure may be partly covered by Medicare and Insurance companies when it is deemed as a medical necessity. It is better to discuss your options in advance so you know exactly how much amount you will pay out of pocket. You private health fund may also provide a subsidy if you have the right level of cover and qualify for the medicare item number.
Funding the Arms Lift Surgery
If you are ready to undergo the procedure but you don’t know how to pay for it, you should know that there are plenty of financing options available for an arm lift payment plan.
Does Medicare pay for Brachioplasty?
- Yes, in some cases Medicare can cover some of the costs of the brachioplasty surgery.
How do I get medicare and insurance to cover a body lift?
Generally speaking, medicare and health insurance might cover a part of the body lift surgery if you meet the strict criteria – you have :
- Lost a lot of weight
- Been at a stable weight for at least 6 months
- Undergone bariatric surgery, it was performed at least a year ago
- Documented skin disorders caused by excess skin
- Your primary physician has recommended body lift surgery
For more information visit the Medicare Item Number page
How to find the Right Arm Lift Surgeon Sydney
Finding the right surgeon for your arm lift surgery is very important. Follow these tips to guide you through the process:
- Credentials and Experience – Always start your research by looking at the credentials and experience of the surgeon. Make sure that the surgeon is a plastic surgeon – member of ASPS and has extensive experience in performing arm lift surgeries.
- Before and After Photos Arms Lift Surgery – Look for before and after photographs of other patients to see how the results will look like post-surgery (usually available in the clinic).
- Consultation – Attend a consultation and see how you feel with the surgeon. If the surgeon can answer all the questions and you feel comfortable, you have found the right surgeon for your arms lift surgery.
Arm Lift Surgery FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about arm lift surgery:
Is there plastic surgery for flabby arms?
- Yes, arm lift surgery aka Brachioplasty is the procedure that could refine the aspect of the arms and give you toned, contoured arms.
How long does it take to recover from arm lift surgery?
- Everyone is different and recovers at their own pace. The general recovery time lasts around two to three weeks.
What is a mini arm lift?
- A mini arm lift is a plastic surgery procedure that eliminates just a small amount of excess skin and fat from your upper arms.
How long do you have to wear a compression garment after an arm lift?
- You need to wear a compression garment for at least three to six weeks after the arm lift surgery.
Does arm lift surgery leave scars?
- Yes, an arm lift will leave scars but the surgeon typically places them in the areas where they aren’t easily visible. In time, the scars fade and they become less and less visible. There is also scar treatment available at Dr Kernohan’s clinic in Gregory Hills.
Where is the scar for an arm lift?
- There are two main placements for arm lift scars: one is along the line of maximum hang (back of your arms) and another one is along the interbrachial groove (between biceps and triceps).
What is a scarless arm lift?
- Liposuction Arm Surgery is sometimes referred to as a scarless arm lift. It only eliminates excess fat but doesn’t get rid of excess skin. If you are confronted with saggy skin on the arms, an arms liposuction can make it even more visible, if the procedure is not associated with a brachioplasty. This may be helpful for a few patients that have excess fat but very good quality skin. If you have skin laxity or poor quality skin it is best to a avoid scarless arm lift.
How do you sleep after an arm lift?
- It is recommended to sleep on your back rather than your side or stomach after an arm lift surgery.
When can I sleep on my side after an arm lift?
- You can sleep on your side 3 to 4 weeks after an arm lift surgery.
How long do you have drains after Brachioplasty?
- There are no specific days for how long you will have drains in your arms. Drains will be placed untill you have less than 25ml of drainage in a period of 24 hours. It can take 12 to 24 hours or longer before drains are removed.
How do you shower after an arm lift?
- It is best to wait for 2 to 3 days until you shower. When you do shower, avoid lifting your arms up as it can put a strain on incisions.
How much does it cost to remove bat wings?
- Generally, the cost for removing bat wings aka getting an arm lift surgery varies from $12,000 to $20,000.
What is the best treatment for sagging arms?
- The best treatment for sagging arms is the arm lift surgery.
How long does an arm lift take?
- Arm lift surgery can take up to 3 to 4 hours.
How do you tighten up your arms?
- Arm lift surgery is the best way to eliminate excess fat and skin while tightening up your upper arms.