Breast Augmentation – Breast Implants in Sydney by Dr Kernohan
A Breast Augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery. Nearly 20,000 procedures are performed every year in Australia using breast implants ranging in size from around 170ml to 880ml. You can also have Breast Augmentation using your own fat using fat grafting or autologous fat transfer.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan can help with breast enlargement using breast implants or fat transfer or both in Sydney, Australia.
Download Dr Michael Kernohan Breast Augmentation Guide
What is breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation, medically known as augmentation mammoplasty, is a procedure that uses breast implants to enhance the size of your breasts.
Breast Augmentation is not only a cosmetic enhancement procedure; it can also be restorative or reconstructive. For instance, breast implants can restore breast volume lost after pregnancy or significant weight loss. In this case, the main goal of surgery is to reinflate your breasts or improve the symmetry of uneven breasts.
For some women, breast augmentation is about increasing breast size, while for others, the procedure is a part of reshaping the breast after cancer, pregnancy, weight loss, and more. That’s why it’s one of the most commonly performed aesthetic procedures.
Different Types of Breast Implants
Not all breast implants are the same; there are many different brands, different sizes & shapes, and textures – smooth or micro-textured. They can also have different implant fillings – saline fluid or most commonly silicone gel.
What are the benefits of breast augmentation surgery in Sydney?
Advantages of getting breast surgery are numerous, including:
- Bigger breasts
- Symmetrical breasts
- Increased firmness
- Added volume and curves
Breast augmentation Photo Gallery
Taking a look at previous breast enhancement procedures speaks volumes about the expertise of a specific surgeon, and Dr Kernohan is not an exception. You can see Dr Kernohan’s past patient during your consultation
What can I expect during breast augmentation?
Patient satisfaction after breast surgery is high, as confirmed by a study from Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. The procedure involves a great deal of planning of incisions, pocket plans, and a myriad of implant characteristics.
Breast Augmentation requires general anaesthesia which puts you to sleep throughout the surgery. To insert the breast implant, Dr Kernohan will make a single incision in the crease under the breast or under your arm. After creating an incision, Dr Kernohan proceeds to separate the breast tissue from the muscles and connective tissue of the chest. This action creates a pocket behind or in front of the pectoral muscle. The implant goes into this pocket, and it is centred behind the nipple.
Once the implant is in place, Dr Kernohan closes the incision with sutures and bandages it with surgical tape and skin adhesive.
Recovery after breast augmentation
After the procedure, before you go home, you will get detailed instructions that will support your recovery. You are likely to experience pain and swelling for up to a few weeks after the procedure. Painkillers can help decrease pain. Acute pain can subside after one to five days, but swelling and general discomfort can last for weeks.
Bruising is also normal, scars too. You may expect scars to fade over time, but they won’t disappear entirely.
To support the healing process, you may want to wear a compression bandage or a sports bra. During the first few weeks of the recovery, you will need to avoid strenuous activities for two weeks minimum. You can expect to return to work within a few weeks if you don’t have a physically demanding job.
The breasts will be sensitive to touch during the healing process.
The results of a breast augmentation are visible right away – bigger breasts, but it may take several weeks to notice final results as the swelling subsides and the skin stretches.
Patients who have undergone a breast augmentation due to asymmetry or small breasts may need to wear a bandeau to shape their breasts.
During recovery, you will need to sleep on the back and avoid sleeping on your stomach. Avoid using ointments and creams on the incision before consulting Dr Kernohan.
Read more about Recovery after Breast Augmentation Surgery.
How much is breast augmentation in Sydney?
The costs of a breast augmentation in Sydney depends on various factors such as:
- Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is included in the surgical quote or price estimate?
- Where is surgery performed?
- Whether surgery is medically-indicated or cosmetic procedure
- The complexity of the case
Low-cost breast augmentation procedures in Sydney range from $6000 to $9,000 while mid-range implant surgeries are $9,000 to $13,000. Premier quality procedures performed by a skilled specialist plastic surgeon start at $13,000 and may go up to $17,000 or even higher. Learn more about the prices of breast enlargement on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page..
Funding Your Breast Augmentation
Health insurance providers generally do not cover the costs of an elective breast augmentation for cosmetic purposes. They may provide coverage if the breast enhancement procedure is performed for reconstructive and medically-initiated purposes such as implants after breast cancer removal surgery. Read more about funding and payment options.
Breast Augmentation FAQs
What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is just the name of the procedure to enlarge the size of the breasts, while breast implants are medical devices inserted during the surgery.
What does breast augmentation mean?
- Breast augmentation means the enlargement of the breasts through the insertion of implants.
What is the fastest way to increase breast size?
- Regular breast massage and a healthful diet are often dubbed as the solutions for increasing breast size. But the only proven effective way to make it happen is to get breast implants. Or for temporary effects – a push-up bra.
What age is best for breast augmentation?
- The average age of women who get a breast augmentation is 34. There is no optimal age for this procedure, as long as you’re in good physical and mental health.
Which type of breast implants feels the most natural?
- Silicone breast implants tend to feel more natural than their saline counterparts.
How painful is breast augmentation recovery?
- Pain after a breast augmentation is normal, and it’s most severe in the first few days. Then, it gradually alleviates. The intensity of pain varies from one woman to another, depending on your pain tolerance.
How long after breast augmentation can they be touched?
- Your breasts will be sensitive to touch for about three weeks after the breast augmentation, or even longer.
Why can I feel my breast implants?
- You can feel breast implants because there is no muscle covering the implants at the side or bottom of the breast. As long as you’re not experiencing pain or noticing a difference in appearance, there’s nothing to be concerned about.
Can you tell if someone has breast implants?
- A significant increase in breast size is easy to spot. It can be tricky to notice subtle increases in breast sizes, but it’s also possible. Keep in mind that with improved technology, breast augmentation results are more natural than before.
What do breast implants look like when you’re old?
- Breast implants add more weight to the breasts, thus accelerating the progression of sagging. However, properly-sized implants do the best job of maintaining the longevity of your breasts and yield long-lasting results.
Is there an alternative to breast implants?
- An alternative to breast implants is a fat transfer which relies on the fat cells from your body to enhance breast tissue.
How long does it take for breast implants to look normal?
- In four to six weeks post-op, your breasts should look and feel more natural.
How many ccs is a size C implant?
- The general rule of thumb is that one cup size is 175cc. So, a woman who wears A-cup and wants to be a full C-cup will need about 350cc implants.
Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?
You’re a good candidate for a BA Surgery if you are in good physical and mental health. Breast Augmentation can help patients with
- Realistic expectations
- Fully developed breasts
- Upper part of breast appearing “empty”
- One or both breasts failed to develop properly – Breast Asymmetry
It’s important to mention that breast augmentation is not for everyone. Factors that don’t make you eligible for this procedure include:
- Unrealistic expectation for post-surgery results
- Breast cancer or an abnormal mammogram
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Illness or presence of infection
Planning your breast augmentation patient journey
Your breast augmentation patient journey starts with scheduling an appointment to see Dr Kernohan for consultation. An appointment is a perfect opportunity for you to talk about the reasons behind the interest to undergo a breast augmentation and the results you expect to see. Dr Kernohan will carefully examine your breasts and recommend the most suitable approach for your needs.
How to find the best Breast Augmentation surgeon in Sydney
The results of breast surgery depend on the surgeon you choose. For that reason, you need to look for a reputable plastic surgeon with significant experience in performing breast implant surgery. Of course, the surgeon you choose should be qualified, certified, and recognised by the RACS and ASPS – the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons that monitor the work of healthcare professionals.
Why choose Dr Kernohan?
As a specialist plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr Michael Kernohan is known for detailed planning and in-depth experience.
His surgical experience and expertise, combined with a strong desire to help patients are the main reasons behind Dr Kernohan’s outstanding reputation. Considering that he values knowledge, Dr Kernohan aims to educate his patients about every aspect of the surgeries they want to undergo.
Dr Kernohan is a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Learn more about Dr Kernohan.
Risks and complications of Breast Augmentation
Possible risks and complications associated with breast enhancement procedure include:
- Anaesthesia risks
- Poor scarring
- Persistent pain
- Changes in breast/nipple sensation
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant
- Development of tight scar tissue around the implant i.e. capsular contracture
- Implant rupture/leakage
- Faulty position of the implant
- Possibility of having to undergo a revision surgery
Read more about the potential risks and complications of plastic surgery.
Further reading about Breast Augmentation
- Health Direct Breast Implants page – Health Direct
- ASPS USA Breast aug surgery page – American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Breast implants and procedure types – University of Michigan
Surgeries that can be combined with Breast Augmentation
Why have a breast augmentation?
Women often opt for breast augmentation to:
- Correct uneven breasts
- Increase the size of the breasts
- Address disproportionally small breasts
- Reconstruct breasts after mastectomy
- Change the appearance of breasts after pregnancy or significant weight loss
What age can you have Breast Surgery? – How old or how young?
Breast enhancement surgery is not performed in patients under 18 years of age. There is no maximum age limit for this procedure; it depends on your general health and wellbeing.