Liposuction Surgery Sydney – Sculpt Your Body and Reduce Fat
- Do you have a normal weight, but your tummy is still bulging?
- Unwanted fat deposits in the chin, arms, back, flanks, tummy, thighs, buttocks or legs area?
- Stubborn fat deposits on the tummy resistant to exercise?
Liposuction or Liposculpture is a surgical technique that contours your body by removing excess fat deposits between the skin and muscle. It is not a weight loss surgery – think of it as a body contouring or body sculpting procedure.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan is a highly experienced plastic surgeon and performs liposuction in Sydney Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands NSW.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Excess Skin Reduction Guide
What Is Liposuction?
Dr Kernohan can create tiny incisions, inject a special fluid and insert a cannula to suction out some of the fat cells. It can improve the look of your hips, belly, thighs, buttocks, back, arms, and under the chin or face as well.
“Liposuction is a good procedure if you are looking for more definition at the level of certain areas of the body. After the procedure, the contours are much improved and the results can be significant”Dr Kernohan Plastic Surgeon
Benefits of Liposuction – Why Have Liposuction?
Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures. Here are a few reasons to consider liposuction:
1. Targeted Fat Removal
Liposuction removes fat in local areas such as arms, legs, buttocks, stomach, love handles, etc. It is a highly customized procedure that can be tailored to your unique needs.
Please note that liposuction is NOT a weight-loss surgery – that may require bariatric or obesity surgery.
2. Can have Long-lasting Results
The fat cells are highly unlikely to grow back and regenerate themselves when you get liposuction. However, if you gain excess weight, the fat cells in non-treated areas of your body will expand. Hence, it is important to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle after lipo surgery sydney.
3. Quicker Recovery Time
Advancements in liposuction techniques and methods have resulted in a faster recovery time than traditional surgery. You can get back to your usual routine within weeks instead of waiting for months.
4. Reshapes Your Body
If you are at your ideal weight but are not happy with the shape or proportions of your body, liposuction is an excellent procedure. It can totally contour your body into the desired shape and curves.
5. Increased Confidence
Liposuction can revive your confidence if you have been feeling insecure about your looks or a specific body part. It can make you feel comfortable and confident with your own body.
Liposuction Photo Gallery
Taking a look at previous patients who have undergone liposuction procedures can help assess the expertise of a specific surgeon, and Dr Kernohan is no exception. You can see photographs of Dr Kernohan’s past patients during your consultation.
Is Liposuction Right for Me?
Liposuction is an ideal procedure for you if you:
- Are within 30% of your ideal weight range
- Have a good muscle tone and firm, elastic skin
- Are generally healthy with no chronic illnesses
- Don’t smoke or can quit it for weeks or months before and after surgery
- Have positive and realistic expectations for the treatment
Please note that these are general liposuction guidelines, and the suitability of the procedure can be determined by booking a consultation with a specialist plastic surgeon.
Your Liposuction Consultation with Dr Kernohan
Dr Kernohan will ask you about your general health and examine you as required.
If, after careful assessment, you are suitable for liposuction surgery, expect to discuss the procedure, principles of the operation, likely outcomes, and potential risks of liposuction.
You may have more than one consultation. Make sure to come prepared to the consultation to maximize the info you can get.
Key points to discuss at the consultation include:
- Your expectations and the expected outcomes of liposuction
- The benefits to you of the liposuction
- Any concerns about risks, complications or limitations.
Before Liposuction Surgery
Before liposuction, your surgeon will ask you to undergo certain health tests to ensure you are the right fit for the procedure.
Dr. Kernohan might ask you to:
- Stop taking blood-thinning medications at least two weeks before the surgery
- Quit smoking three to four weeks before the procedure as it can increase the risk of complications
- If you have low iron levels, you might be asked to take iron supplements.
Watch the Liposuction Animated Video
The Liposuction Procedure
The liposuction procedure is usually performed under general anaesthesia.
Your heart rate, blood pressure, and blood oxygen levels will be monitored throughout the process. The process can last for a couple of hours based on the extent of fat removal.
Dr Kernohan will create small incisions. Then, a thin, hollow tube/cannula is inserted through the incisions to loosen excess fat using a controlled back and forth motion. The dislodged fat will be removed with the help of a surgical vacuum and syringe.
The bandages and elasticated support garment are fitted over the target area. If the surgery is performed under general anaesthesia, you will be asked to stay a day in the hospital to ensure you are not dehydrated. In some cases, patients can return home on the same day.
Recovery after Liposuction
It is common to experience swelling, bruising, and pain for a few days after the procedure. Dr Kernohan will prescribe you medication, including analgesics and antibiotics. It will help you reduce pain and chance of infection.
Make sure to visit the rooms for follow-up appointments to ensure everything is fine and healing correctly.
Dr Kernohan advises you to wear your compression garment that will minimise swelling. It is a good idea to take a couple of days off from work and rest as much as possible. Wait for at least two weeks before returning to any strenuous activities.
Make sure to eat well, drink loads of water, keep wearing a compression garment, and move a bit around the house for 5 to 10 minutes. You may notice some contour irregularities during the recovery period, until the remaining fat settles back into position.
Results of Liposuction
The results of liposuction will not be immediately visible after the surgery. You will have to wait until the swelling goes down and lipo fluid drains away. The period will vary from person to person. Most of the swelling will be gone within a month’s time frame. It generally takes three to six months for the swelling to subside completely.
If you can maintain your weight post-surgery, the results can be long lasting. If you do gain more weight, your fat distribution will be altered as fat is stored elsewhere on the body. Hence, it is best to lead a healthy lifestyle post-surgery.
Risks and Complications of Liposuction
All surgical interventions have a certain level of risk – Dr Kernohan will explain the risks during the consultation as part of the informed consent process. Visit the risks of surgery page for more information.
Liposuction Sydney Cost & Prices – How Much is a Liposuction in Sydney? – Body Liposculpture Fees and Charges
The costs of liposuction in Sydney depends on various factors such as:
- Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is included in the liposuction quote or price estimate
- Where is liposuction performed
- The complexity of the case
- How many areas need to be treated
Liposuction Prices Sydney vary from about $5,000 to $20,000 AUD. Based on the number of targeted areas and other factors mentioned above, the costs vary.
Funding Your Liposuction
Medicare will NOT pay for procedures that are performed purely for cosmetic purposes. Normally, liposuction is not covered by Medicare or your Health Fund unless you have a medical condition like pseudolipodema. Check out more details about Medicare item numbers here.
It’s also important to know that there is a Liposuction payment plan and medical financing options available to help you pay for your liposuction in Sydney.
How to Find the Best Liposuction Surgeon Sydney
Liposuction requires the expertise of a trained and experienced plastic surgeon. Many undertrained doctors or self proclaimed ‘cosmetic surgeon’ perform cheap liposuction on unsuspecting patients in their backroom clinic. These doctors are not allowed to operate in a fully accredited private hospital.
You really need to find a trained FRACS surgeon who has years of experience in performing these procedures – rather than choosing a ‘cosmetic cowboy’.
Get a Medical Referral and do Internet Research
A great way to start your research journey is by getting a referral from your GP or another specialist. You can also research the web and shortlist a few plastic surgeons based on their qualifications, experience, expertise, and reviews.
Questions to Ask to Find the Top Liposuction Surgeons Sydney
Here is a list of questions that you need to ask your potential plastic surgeon during the consultation:
- Are you a specialist plastic surgeon?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform liposuction?
- How many liposuction procedures have you done in the past?
- Is liposuction one of your primary procedures?
- Am I a good candidate for liposuction? If yes, why? If not, why not?
- What are the risks associated with liposuction?
- Can you share some before and after pictures of your patients?
- How much is the cost of lipo?
- Will you give me an all-inclusive quote?
- How involved will you be during the post-op and recovery phases?
Look at their Online Reviews
It is also important to read online reviews before you make the final decision. You can find plenty of forums, social media groups, and review sites on the internet where people share their authentic experiences. You’ll need to learn to differentiate between fake and real reviews.
See their Liposuction Before and After Photographs
You can find before and after pictures of different people who have undergone liposuction. You can also ask to see pictures during the consultation. These photographs will give you a realistic idea of how you will look post-surgery, eliminate any unrealistic expectations and show you the placement of scars as well.
Only after considering all these points you should select your surgeon.
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about liposuction:
Is liposuction a good way to lose weight?
- No, it is not a weight reduction method. Rather it eliminates excess fat deposits to sculpt and shape your body. If you need to lose a lot of weight consider bariatric surgery.
Does lipo leave scars?
- Significant scarring after liposuction is very uncommon. Liposuction will leave smaller scars in places where they are less noticeable. Scar minimisation treatment can also help.
Does the fat come back after liposuction?
- Lipo doesn’t stop you from gaining weight. The fat can return and can be stored in a different part of the body. Fat will not return if you maintain a normal weight.
Should I lose weight before or after liposuction?
- Surgeons recommend that patients be as close to their ideal weight as possible before surgery. You can lose a few Kilos before liposuction, but it is best to be at a stable weight.
Which is better, lipo or tummy tuck?
- Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that removes excess fat deposits from different areas of the body. It can be performed on most parts of the body where fat is normally stored. A tummy tuck is a more complex procedure that eliminates excess skin and can strengthen muscles in the tummy area. Both procedures are useful in their own right. The choice depends on the results you are looking for. Lipo is more for excess fat, Tummy Tuck is more for excess skin removal and muscle repair. Many surgeons combine the two with Lipoabdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck with extra Lipo.
Does liposuction cause saggy skin?
- Liposuction does not cause sagging skin if you are lucky enough to have good skin and muscle tone but for many patients with excess skin and skin laxity it can. You may need excess skin removal surgery or vaser liposuction that can tighten skin.
How long after lipo can you see results?
- Based on how much fat is removed, you can expect to see the results in a period of one to three months.
Can I go home after liposuction?
- If Liposuction is performed on an outpatient basis, which means you can go home on the same day of the surgery. For larger liposuction with general anaesthesia, some patients stay overnight in hospital.
Is getting liposuction worth it?
- Yes, it is worth it. According to the RealSelf Worth It ratings, 90% of people undergoing the liposuction procedure say it is worth it.
Further Reading and Medical References about Liposuction
Dr Michael Kernohan – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon providing a wide range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery for the face, nose, breast and body.
He also offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and a range of cancer treatments using the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for both public and private patients and currently has appointments in five Sydney hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities.
His main clinic is now located in Gregory Hills and he has 4 other locations – Bowral, Liverpool, Surry Hills (city) and Campbelltown Clinic – servicing patients in Sydney Southwest and Southern Highlands.