Lower Body Lift Surgery in Sydney with Dr Kernohan
- Struggling with loose skin after massive weight loss?
- Having dfficulty with Skin infections from rolls of excess skin after weightloss?
- Is excess skin taking a toll on your confidence and self-image?
Congratulations for losing a lot of weight. However, shedding large amounts of weight can sometimes lead to rolls of loose skin, excess tissue and skin infections. A Lower Body Lift Surgery with Dr Kernohan can help remove excess sagging skin.
Every individual has a different level of skin elasticity. For some people, their skin bounces back to shape while others have to deal with lots of excess skin, especially around the tummy and lower back area. That is where a lower body lift comes in handy. The procedure includes the removal of the skin that is in excess, but also fat tissue in the lower abdominal area, as well as the contouring and tightening of your thighs, buttocks, and flanks.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Michael Kernohan, is an expert in post-weight loss surgery and can help you achieve your aesthetic goals through lower body lift surgery. Dr Kernohan performs Lower Body Lift Surgery in Sydney Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands NSW.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Excess Skin Reduction Guide
What is a Lower Body Lift?
A lower body lift is an elective cosmetic surgery procedure that removes excess skin and addresses skin imperfections at the level of the abdomen, pubic area, flanks, lateral thighs, and buttocks. The procedure involves removal of skin, re-draping and resuspension of your body’s tissue to give you a youthful and toned appearance.
Benefits of Lower Body Lift Surgery Sydney
The top benefits of lower body lift surgery include but are not limited to:
- Lower body lift completely transforms how your body looks and finally gives you a chance to flaunt all your weight loss efforts
- The procedure makes you look youthful and rejuvenated and certainly takes years off your body
- In addition to the physical benefits, the body lift is also linked to psychological benefits such as a boost of self-esteem and self-confidence
- The lower body lift helps you to get rid of the problems that are caused by excess skin
- Lower body lift surgery can greatly improve your quality of life
- The results of a body lift are long-lasting, provided that you maintain a stable weight
- The surgery not only removes sagging skin but can also greatly minimise the appearance of stretch marks
- It will give you the much-needed confidence that you truly deserve
Lower Body Lift Surgery Before and After Photos
You can see photos of patients who have had lower body lift surgery done when you visit Dr Kernohan’s clinic.
Preparing for a Lower Body Lift Surgery
Every cosmetic surgery begins with a consultation with an expert plastic surgeon. Dr Kernohan will help you understand the surgery in detail, inform you about the potential risks and ensure that you are the right candidate for the procedure.
- It is advised to have a healthy and balanced diet prior to the surgery so your health is in an optimal condition
- Avoid drinking or smoking for a month prior to the surgery as it can hinder the healing process
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen, and supplements
- Get the pre surgery medical testing done as advised by Dr Kernohan
Lower Body Lift Surgery
The lower body lift is quite an extensive surgical procedure that takes hours to complete. The surgery itself can look different for different people but here are some general steps that Dr Kernohan follows during the procedure.
On the day of the surgery, Dr Kernohan will have a final look at your lab tests as well as your medical history. You might be given a blood thinning agent to prevent the formation of blood clots.
Then, Dr Kernohan will make surgical markings on the skin that needs to be excised. You will be then taken into the operating room where you will be given anaesthesia.
The next step involves the excision of excess skin (close attention is paid to minimise blood loss). Once the excess skin is removed, Dr Kernohan might drape the skin in a specific way and use drains to remove excess fluid. Then, the incisions will be sutured with the help of surgical staples, followed by dressings.
Once the surgery is done, you will be taken to a recovery area where you will be monitored for up to 24 hours.
Lower Body Lift Recovery Time and Aftercare
You need to prepare ahead of time for a smooth recovery. When it comes to the recovery timeline, you need to take a minimum of two to four weeks off of work, restrict normal activities for 4-6 weeks, and wait for 6-8 weeks before starting exercise.
It is very important to arrange for someone to drive you home once you are discharged from the hospital. You also need to have some help around the house to assist you in the first few days of recovery.
As the surgery affects your mobility during the recovery phase, have supplies- food, water, clothes, medications and anything you need- nearby. Organise your support team at home.
Stay clear of all sorts of strenuous activities until your surgeon approves. However, it is important to gently walk around the house to prevent the formation of blood clots.
After surgery – do not take blood thinners, herbal supplements, and avoid alcohol and cigarettes as they can have a negative impact on the healing. Wear compression garments at all times. Take care of your incisions and avoid getting them wet.
Make sure to attend follow up appointments to ensure you are healing at the right rate.
“During the recovery period it’s important to avoid all activities that could potentially lead to the rupture of the sutures. Don’t lift heavy objects, avoid vigorous body movements and even coughing, sneezing and laughing too hard. After the incisions are healed, you can resume normal activities.”
Dr Michael Kernohan – Plastic Surgeon and Lower Body lift Expert
Lower Body Lift Results
The recovery from lower body lift is an important part of the process and you need to take utmost care of yourself during this phase. The scar from the procedure is placed very low on the abdomen, runs higher towards the thighs/hips, and continues along the lower back, just above the buttock. Dr Kernohan will place the scars to be less visible and preserve the aesthetic appeal. You will notice the difference in lower body lift scars after a year as they slowly start to fade away. You can also discuss scar minimisation options with your surgeon once you are fully healed.
You will be able to see the final results of the procedure within 6 to 12 months. The results are regarded as permanent unless you gain excessive weight.
Potential Risks & Complications Associated with Lower Body Lift Surgery
Any surgical procedure is associated with certain risks and potential complications and the lower body lift surgery is no different. Because it is a complex intervention, you should follow Dr Kernohan’s recommendations for post-operative care to minimise the risks and make the most out of your surgery. You surgical result can be ruined by smoking causing infection and would breakdown. Please don’t smoke.
Check plastic surgery risks page for more details.
How much is Lower Body Lift Surgery in Sydney?
Expect to pay around $20,000 to $35,000 for a Lower Body Lift Surgery in Sydney. The costs of the procedure vary depending on the different procedures that are included and other factors.
Alternatively, you can contact Dr Kernohan’s team for a price estimate or to set up an appointment today.
Funding Your Lower Body Lift Surgery
In some cases, you might get Medicare or your health insurance to cover part of the surgery. Find out more details about Medicare item numbers for Lower Body Lift Surgery and Lipectomy after Massive Weight Loss.
Read more about a lower body lift payment plan on the financing options page.
How to Find the Best Lower Body Lift Surgeon in Sydney
Choosing the right surgeon is critical when undergoing plastic surgery. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Have a close look at the credentials and experience of the surgeon – look for a specialist plastic surgeon, not an undertrained doctor or so-called cosmetic surgeon
- Make sure that the surgeon performs lower body lift surgery as one of their procedures for post-weight loss patients
- Read plenty of online reviews to ensure patients have a positive experience with the surgeon
- Look for before and after photographs of past patient results
- Go to consultation and make sure the surgeon answers all your questions and you feel completely comfortable
Lower Body Lift Surgery FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about lower body lift:
What does a lower body lift include?
- A lower body lift involves the removal of excess skin, fat, and tissue in the lower abdomen, along with reshaping and tightening of thighs, buttocks, and flanks.
How painful is a lower body lift?
- You won’t experience any pain during the surgery as it is performed under anaesthesia. It is common and expected to have some pain and discomfort during the first week or two, post the surgery. Analgesic medication is prescribed to alleviate the pain and discomfort.
How much is a 360 lower body lift?
- The cost of 360 lower body lift generally varies from around $20,000-$35,000.
Is a lower body lift surgery worth it?
- Yes, it is totally worth it. If you continue to maintain a stable weight and exercise regularly, your body lift surgery will keep you looking younger and slimmer for years to come
Is a tummy tuck included in a lower body lift?
- A lower body lift is essentially a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty that basically goes around the entire waist and can be combined with some liposuction and thigh lifting
What is the difference between a tummy tuck and a lower body lift?
- A lower body lift is designed to tighten excess loose skin around the body, particularly the lower back, buttocks and thighs. A tummy tuck, on the other hand, removes excess fat in the front abdominal area only.
How much weight do you lose with a lower body lift?
- Based on how much excess skin you have, you will be able to lose anywhere from 5 to 10 kgs after a lower body lift. However, keep in mind that you should have a near normal weight before undergoing the procedure.
How do you poop after a lower body lift?
- Constipation is common after a big surgery. It is important to have an electrolyte-containing fluid on hand along with the stool softeners/laxatives. A diet rich in fibres can help too.
How long does lower body lift surgery take?
- A lower body lift can take anywhere from 4 to 7 hours depending on the amount of excess skin to remove and the complexity of the procedure.
How long do you wear a compression garment after a lower body lift?
- You need to wear a compression garment for 2 to 3 weeks straight after the lower body lift. This is vital to get the best surgical results.
How do I prepare for a lower body lift?
Follow these suggestions to prepare for a lower body lift:
- Get your lab testing/ medical evaluation done
- Alter your current medications as per Dr Kernohan’s recommendations
- Do not smoke and drink for at least a few weeks prior to the surgery
- Do not consume blood-thinning medications or herbal supplements
Can you do a tummy tuck and thigh lift at the same time?
- Yes, you can get a tummy tuck and thigh lift done at the same time
How long do results last after a body lift surgery?
- Provided that you maintain a stable weight, the overall results are considered long-lasting
Will a lower body lift help with cellulite?
- Unfortunately, no. While body lift surgery is excellent at minimising the appearance of stretch marks, it can’t do much when it comes to cellulite. You may see a slight improvement from the effects of skin tightening.
Will extra skin after weight loss go away?
- In case of a small to moderate amount of weight loss, your skin might retract on its own. However, if you have lost a considerable amount of weight, your skin might not return back to its normal shape and you will end up needing lower body lift surgery.
How do you sleep after a lower body lift?
- Sleep with your lower body and legs in a slightly elevated position after lower body lift surgery to avoid pulling on the incisions.
Further Reading and Medical References about Lower Body Lift surgery
Dr Michael Kernohan – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon providing a wide range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery for the face, nose, breast and body.
He also offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and a range of cancer treatments using the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for both public and private patients and currently has appointments in five Sydney hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities.
His main clinic is located in Campbelltown and he has 4 other locations – Bowral, Liverpool, Surry Hills (city) and Gregory Hills opening in late May – servicing patients in Sydney Southwest and Southern Highlands.