Lip Injections in Sydney
Lip fillers are a special type of dermal filler and are used to add volume and fullness to your lips. This non-surgical treatment is recommended if you have uneven lips or thin lips due to ageing, injury or genetics.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan offers different lip treatments for his patients in Sydney. Schedule a consultation today to see what result you can get after a lip filler treatment. He can help you with Lip Enhancement treatments in 5 convenient locations in Southwest Sydney and Southern Ranges NSW.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Cosmetic Injectables Guide
What Causes Thin Lips ?
Several factors can cause your lips to thin such as:
- Collagen loss or depletion
- Loss of moisture
- Prolonged sun exposure
- Vitamin deficiency
- An early injury or wound
Benefits of Lip Fillers and Lip Enhancement Injections
Lip fillers can give you the following benefits:
- Control over the amount of substance injected into your lips
- Gradual pace of treatment
- Highly customisable
- Less expensive compared to surgery
- Less scarring
- Lesser discomforts
- Little to no downtime
- Long-lasting results
- Lower risk of complications compared to surgery
- Minimally invasive
How Lip Fillers Work
Lip fillers work for thin lips, uneven lips, smokers lines and wrinkles around your lip area. The treatment involves the injection of lip fillers into your lips. The fillers contain a naturally-occurring substance responsible for maintaining skin hydration. When injected into your lips, it helps fills in gaps in the area, adding volume and fullness. After the treatment, you can immediately observe that your lips become fuller, and voluminous.
Types of Lip Fillers
The following are the common types of lip fillers:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers: They contain hyaluronic acid, a substance that is naturally produced by the body and helps maintain skin hydration by locking in moisture
- Collagen lip fillers: These fillers plump the lips by replenishing your skin’s natural collagen which in turn reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles
- Permanent silicone lip fillers and implants : These lip implants resemble the size of your lips and are inserted via tiny incisions (permanent lip fillers are NOT recommended by Dr Kernohan)
- Fat transfer lip injections: This procedure involves harvesting fat from a body area, processing the harvested fat, and injecting it into your lips
Good Candidates for Lip Fillers
You are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are a non-smoker
- You are committed to maintaining good skin health
- You are physically and mentally healthy
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations
- You have uneven lips
The treatment is not right for you if you have:
- Active infection or inflammation in your lip area
- Clotting or bleeding disorders
- Diabetes or any disease that can delay the wound healing process
- Facial nerve problems
- History of multiple allergies
- Unrealistic expectations
Risks and Complications of Lip Fillers
Serious problems associated with lip fillers are rare but can include the following:
- Blocked facial blood vessels
- Changes in skin sensation
- Movement of filler away from the treatment area
- Numbness in the treated area
- Poor cosmetic results
- Unfavourable scarring
Make sure to check out the risks and complications of plastic surgery to find out more details.
Results of Lip Fillers
The results of lips fillers can be observed immediately after the treatment. However, you will need to wait for 4 weeks for the fillers to settle in and achieve the final results. You should also keep in mind that your body absorbs the filler over time. This means that the volume and fullness of your lips will decrease gradually.
Aftercare for Lip Fillers – What to do after your Lip Injections
You should adhere to the following aftercare instructions:
- Apply an ice compress to your lips to reduce swelling and minimize discomforts
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking
- Avoid biting your lips
- Avoid blood-thinning medications to prevent bleeding
- Avoid flying on a plane as air pressure can contribute to increased lip swelling and bruising
- Avoid high temperatures like steam rooms and saunas as they can make swelling worse by increasing blood flow to your lips
- Avoid kissing
- Avoid lipstick 24 hours after the procedure
- Avoid salty and spicy foods as they can irritate your lips
- Avoid strenuous activities for 24 to 48 hours after lip filler injections
- Consult with your health care provider immediately if you experience any untoward signs and symptoms
- Do not engage in contact sports
- Do not massage your lips
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Sleep on your back to prevent moving the filler away from the desired lip area
- Sleep using 2 to 3 pillows to keep your head elevated and reduce swelling
Lip Fillers Cost Sydney – How much is Lip Filler Treatment in Sydney?
The cost of lip fillers vary depending on a range of factors. From the experience of the doctor, nurse or plastic surgeon, to the clinic where the procedure is performed, to the type of lip filler used.
To find out more about lip filler costs and fees, check out the plastic surgery prices page. Or you can contact Dr Kernohan’s team to set up an appointment or to ask about a cost estimate for your procedure.
Lip Fillers FAQs
How long does a lip enhancement last?
- Your body absorbs the filler over time. This means that the volume and fullness of your lips will decrease gradually. In general, you can expect the results of lip enhancement to last about 6-12 months. This will depend on a number of factors such as the type of lip filler, lip condition, your lifestyle, and skincare regimen. Once your lips lack volume and fullness, you will need to undergo a touch-up treatment.
How much does lip filler cost in Australia?
The total costs associated with lip fillers will depend on different factors, such as the following:
- The amount of filler needed to achieve your desired results
- The condition of your lips
- The fee of the clinic or medical facility
- The fee of the practitioner
- The location of the clinic or medical facility
- The type of the filler
How can I enlarge my lips?
There are some natural ways to make your lips appear bigger and plumper. These include the following:
- Exfoliate your lips because flaky lips reflect less light, making your lips appear smaller.
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and fluids.
- Use a concealer before your lip colour to make your lips look bigger by blurring the line between your lips and your face.
- Use a clear lip gloss or shade that matches your lipstick colour.
Can I get lip filler at 17?
- The Government does not allow the use of fillers if you are under 18 years old. If you want to achieve plumper and bigger lips, you can first try some natural ways such as using lipstick.
At what age can you get lip fillers?
- The FDA recommends the use of lip fillers for those who are 18 years old and above.
Does lip filler hurt?
- This will depend on your pain tolerance. The sensation felt during lip injections can be compared to a rubber band snapping against your skin. However, there are ways to reduce discomforts during the process such as the application of numbing cream to your lips and the use of an ice compress. The entire procedure is usually tolerable and does not require downtime.
How do you fix thin lips?
- Ageing, collagen loss or depletion, genetics, loss of moisture, prolonged sun exposure, and vitamin deficiency can all lead to thin lips. To fix this problem, you should undergo lip filler injections. The fillers contain a naturally-occurring substance responsible for maintaining skin hydration. When injected into your lips, the filler adds volume and fullness by filling in the sunken areas in your lips. Immediately after the treatment, you will notice that your lips become plumper and voluminous.
Will lips go back to normal after fillers?
- Yes. Your lips will return to normal once the filler dissolves. The filler is composed of a naturally-occurring substance in your body so you will likely regain the original appearance of your lips. This usually happens after 6-12 months depending on the type of filler. Your body gradually absorbs the filler so it is expected that your lips will lose their volume and fullness over time. Once this happens, you will need another lip filler injection to improve the appearance of your lips.
Are there permanent lip fillers?
- Permanent lip fillers are a long-term solution for thin lips. This usually involves the use of implants to add volume and definition to your lips. They have the most long-lasting effects since your body does not absorb them. However, the use of permanent lip fillers is associated with a high risk of complications compared to other types of fillers. Dr Kernohan does not recommend permanent filler for that reason.
What is the most effective lip plumper?
- You can plump your lips using natural methods such as the use of lipstick and other makeup techniques. If you are looking for immediate and effective results with no downtime, lip fillers are right for you. To know your options, you should undergo a consultation to discuss the best treatment specific to your needs.
How can I plump my lips without surgery?
Natural ways to plump your lips include the following:
- Exfoliate your lips
- Drink lots of water and fluids
- Use a concealer before your lip colour
- Use a clear lip gloss or shade that matches your lipstick colour
Is 1 ml lip filler too much?
- In general, an amount of 1 ml of lip filler is enough to achieve your desired results. Your body will metabolise the substance over time. From there, the amount of the filler can be increased or reduced depending on your needs. During your consultation, the practitioner will first assess your lip condition and expectations to determine the amount of filler that will best fit your needs.
How long do fillers last?
- You can expect the results of lip fillers to last about 6-12 months. This will depend on a number of factors such as the type of lip filler, lip condition, lifestyle, and skincare regimen. After such time, you will need to undergo touch-up treatments to maintain the appearance of your lips.
How often do lip fillers need topping up?
- You can get repeat lip filler treatments every 6-12 months depending on your needs. Touch-treatments are necessary because your body absorbs the filler over time, thus, reducing the volume and fullness of your lips.
What is the Russian lip technique?
- The Russian lip technique accentuates the Cupid’s bow, the area where your upper lip comes to two distinct points toward the centre of your mouth. This technique involves the injection of additional volume and lift into the centre of your mouth to create heart-shaped, doll-like lips. Unlike the standard lip fillers, the Russian lip technique uses a smaller syringe and injects small amounts of filler vertically. Its main focus is to heighten the centre of your lips rather than add overall volume and plumpness throughout your lips. Because of this, the Russian lip technique takes longer to perform than standard lip filler. Depending on your lip condition and desired results, it may take 30 minutes to 1 hour to perform.
What is lip flipping?
- Lip flips, also known as lip enhancement with muscle relaxant injections, are a non-surgical method of reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles in your lip area. It makes use of a special substance that blocks the transmission of signals going to the muscle that causes wrinkles in your lip area. This in turn relaxes the muscle, causing your top lip to flip outward. This technique creates the illusion that your lips are plumper and well-defined.
Do lip flips hurt?
- Like lip fillers, the sensation felt during lip flips can be compared to a rubber band snapping against your skin. Some describe it as a stinging sensation. To reduce discomfort during the process, a numbing cream or ice compress can be used. After the procedure, you can expect some swelling but this is tolerable and resolves after a few hours.