Anti-Sweat Injections – Muscle relaxant injections for hyperhidrosis – sweaty armpits, feet or palms
Hyperhidrosis is a medical term that is used for excessive sweating that can occur in both men and women. As an Anti-sweat treatment, injectable muscle relaxants can be used to reduce sweat production.
If you have hyperhidrosis and you are looking for a plastic surgeon, you can consult with Dr Michael Kernohan. Dr Kernohan is a specialist plastic surgeon in Sydney and regularly performs surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures.
What is a muscle relaxant?
The muscle relaxant is a non-invasive or non-surgical treatment that is mainly used to treat wrinkles but is highly effective for anti sweating treatments. It consists of botulinum toxin which is a neurotoxin and temporarily blocks the signalling from the nerve that stimulates the production of sweat. It is an effective treatment that has minimal side effects.
What can trigger excessive sweating?
Some factors such as an overheated body, feeling emotional, or a change in hormones may activate the nerves of the sweat gland. These nerves may overreact and lead to excessive sweating. For instance, if a situation can cause anxiety, then it can trigger excessive sweating.
Benefits of muscle relaxant treatment:
Injectable muscle relaxant has multiple benefits including:
- The anti-sweat treatment is effective and can reduce the production of sweat at the level of the underarms
- The results last for up to 3 to 6 months, then you need to repeat the treatment
- Most patients experience a minor level of discomfort during the injectable anti-sweat treatment
- It is a non-invasive procedure, so it is associated with few risks
- There is no downtime after the treatment
Click to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Cosmetic Injectables Guide
How do muscle relaxants work?
Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin that has the ability to temporarily block the signalling from the nerve or change the function of different neurotransmitters. Muscle relaxant injections help to block the nerve that tells the sweat gland to produce sweat. We can control excessive sweating by using these muscle relaxants.
Is injectable muscle relaxant effective?
The injectable muscle relaxants are very effective to treat excessive sweating. It is approved by U.S. Food and Drug Authority (FDA) to use injectable muscle relaxant for the treatment of excessive sweating at the level of the underarms.
The anti-sweat treatment with muscle relaxant
The muscle relaxant treatment for excessive sweating should be performed by a plastic surgeon. The procedure is simple and takes less than 10 minutes to perform the treatment. Typically, there is no need for local anaesthesia in the underarm area. If you feel discomfort, you can tell Dr Kernohan to use topical anaesthesia before inserting the needles. Dr Kernohan may inject neurotoxin with the help of fine needles.
You can receive multiple injections, so it typically forms a grid pattern on the surface of the treated area. You should be able to get back to the normal routine after the completion of treatment because this procedure has no downtime.
Potential Risks of anti-sweat treatment
After the anti-sweat treatment, you may experience some adverse effects. These effects often subside after a few days. They includes:
- Bruising at the injected site
- Pain cause by injections
- Bleeding caused by the insertion of needles
- Pressure sensitivity
In rare cases, the patient may experience fever, flu-like symptoms, headache, itching, anxiety and excessive sweating in other parts of body. Find out more about the risks of plastic surgery procedures.
What precautions should I follow before the treatment?
Dr Kernohan might advise you to follow some indications before the injectable muscle relaxant, such as:
- You should avoid shaving your underarms for 2 to 3 days before the treatment
- If you are using medication such as blood thinner, then you should avoid taking them for a few days before the anti-sweat treatment. Otherwise, it may cause severe bruising on the skin
Anti-Sweat Injections Aftercare
Dr Kernohan will suggest you follow an aftercare routine to enhance the longevity of the results.
- You can use ice or numbing agents on the treated area to relieve pain
- You should avoid excessive exposure to sun
- It is important to avoid using deodorant on the underarms for some days after the treatment. Otherwise, it may cause swelling and other complications
- You should avoid exercise and other vigorous activities for at least 2 to 3 days after the treatment. Otherwise, there is a chance that neurotoxins may spread to surrounding areas
What results to expect after the injectable muscle relaxant?
The results usually last for at least 4 to 6 months. If you follow an aftercare routine, the result will last longer than expected. After every 6 months, you have to repeat the treatment to maintain the treatment results.
What other areas can be treated with injectable muscle relaxants?
You may consider muscle relaxant injections to treat excessive sweat on other areas of the body, such as:
- Under the breasts area
When to see a surgeon for anti-sweat treatment:
In some cases, an over-the-counter treatment is used to treat sweating in the underarm area. You may need to see a surgeon if you experience:
- Excessive sweating leading to fungal or bacterial infection
Anti-Sweat Treatment Cost Sydney – How Much Are Anti Sweat Injections in Sydney?
The price of anti sweat injections in Sydney depends on various factors such as:
- Your Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is included in the surgical quote or price estimate
- Where is the procedure performed
- How much substance is needed
- The complexity of each case
Learn more about plastic surgery fees on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page.
Alternatively, you can contact Dr Kernohan’s team for a price estimate or to set up an appointment today.
Funding Your Anti Sweat Procedure
Find out more details about funding your procedure and payment plans on the financing options page.
How to find the Best Plastic Surgeon in Sydney
The results achieved after getting anti-sweat injections depend not only on the amount of substance used, but also the talent and experience of the person performing the procedure. This is the reason why it’s important to choose a talented and experienced practitioner, and not necessarily one that has the lowest fees.
Always look at their past patient photos and find one that you feel comfortable with.
Anti-Sweat Treatment FAQs:
Are muscle relaxant injections for sweating the best treatment for me?
- If you experience excessive sweating in the underarm area, it can leave sweat patches on your clothes. In this situation, you should consider muscle relaxant injections that can reduce sweating for several months. Moreover, if you suffer from bad underarm odour then you should also consider this procedure.
How long does muscle relaxant treatment take?
- The treatment involves neurotoxin which is the same substance used for the treatment of wrinkles and other medical conditions. These injections take around 10-15 minutes to perform and help block the activity of nerves that stimulate the sweat gland to produce sweat. The results can last for three to four months.
How effective are muscle relaxant injectables for the treatment of hyperhidrosis?
- You will notice the results of the treatment after a few days. After two weeks, you will see the maximum results that will last for several months. The results may vary for different patients. Some may experience no sweating and others may experience some reduction in sweating.
Is the muscle relaxant treatment painful?
- For the underarm area, you may not need anaesthesia before the treatment. The pain is minimum and you may just feel a little pinch.
What should you avoid after getting muscle relaxant treatment?
- It is important to not use any deodorant or perfume for at least 12 hours after the muscle relaxant treatment. You should also avoid exercise for at least 24 hours after the injectable treatment. You should use mild soap to clean the underarms.
Why do I have sweaty underarms?
- You may experience sweaty underarms due a condition called hyperhidrosis in which you have overactive sweat glands. These sweat glands produce an excess amount of sweat that can make you uncomfortable. When excessive sweating affects the underarms, hands, and feet, then it is known as focal hyperhidrosis.
Is there a cure for hyperhidrosis?
- Currently, there is no permanent treatment for hyperhidrosis. You may have several treatment options to temporarily stop or reduce excessive sweating. For instance, you can stop underarm sweating by getting the procedure of injectable muscle relaxants but you have to repeat the procedure after 4 to 6 months to maintain the results. You may also consider treatment with a device called Mira Dry.
Is it ok to sweat after getting muscle relaxant injectable treatment?
- You should avoid exercise and other kinds of vigorous activities for at least 24 hours. You should also not apply pressure to the treated area. It is important to take time for your injectable treatment to settle into the place before seeing the final results. Otherwise, there is a chance that the neurotoxin may spread to the surrounding area and cause complications.
What happens after the injectable muscle relaxant treatment for excessive sweating?
- You may feel soreness and tenderness in the treated area for the first 12 hours. In some cases, the patient may experience heaviness of the arms which can be resolved within the next few days. You can see the results within a week.
Are there long term complications associated with the treatment?
- If the dose of botulinum toxin is delivered properly, the risk to experience complications is minimal. Injectable muscle relaxant does not have long-term or life-threatening side effects.
Is excessive sweating a serious condition?
- Excessive sweating does not pose any serious threat to your health, but it could lead to emotional problems such as anxiety and stress.
Can I shower after muscle relaxant treatment for underarms?
- Yes, you can shower after the injectable muscle relaxant treatment. However, make sure to avoid overly hot showers after the injectable muscle relaxant treatment.
Is excessive sweating due to genetics?
- It is considered that genetics play an important role in excessive sweating. If your family members suffer from hyperhidrosis then you may be prone to develop this condition too.
Do muscle relaxant injections stop the smell?
- A muscle relaxant injection is a good solution to decrease sweating as well as odour. This treatment is commonly requested by people suffering from excessive sweating. You may notice that your underarms stop smelling after getting this treatment.
How many units of injectable muscle relaxants do I need for my underarms?
- Often, you need 50 units of injectable muscle relaxant for each underarm. The results of injectable muscle relaxant treatment may vary from person to person. The results will last for up to six months. If you use less than 50 units, the results will last for a few months.
What are the common side effects of using muscle relaxants for the underarms?
- Muscle relaxants have rare side effects such as pain at the site of injection, bleeding, sweating in other parts of the body, headache, fever, itching, and anxiety.