Male to Female MTF Top Surgery in Sydney with Dr Kernohan
MTF Top Surgery is a surgical procedure that is performed to help you achieve a more feminine appearance. The procedure can be done using breast implant surgery, fat transfer or both. The surgery is very similar to traditional breast augmentation in terms of decision-making processes and surgical techniques.
One primary concern is that there is enough chest skin to accommodate the implants. The nipple-areola complex in MTF top surgery patients requires special consideration to create a more feminine shape. Dr Kernohan will make suggestions about the size of implants that would be suitable to match your natural anatomy.
Are You a Candidate for MTF Breast Augmentation?
You might be considered a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are at least 18 years old or above
- Your mental and physical health is optimal
- You have realistic expectations from the treatment and understand what can and cannot be achieved
- You have a well-documented history of gender dysphoria and are committed to the transition
- You do not smoke or can quit it for a specified duration.
- You do not have any chronic illnesses that might interfere with the outcome of the surgery
- You have a stable weight and are not planning on losing or gaining weight
About MTF Breast Augmentation Sydney
The main goal of the surgery is to reduce ‘male’ characteristics and help you achieve a more feminine body with the help of breast augmentation surgery. The surgery is highly personalised and depends on a number of factors such as your build, the amount of breast tissue you have, and your desired aesthetic outcome. Dr Kernohan will discuss all these aspects during the surgery.
Your MTF Top Surgery Consultation
During the consultation, Dr Kernohan will go over your medical history, past surgeries, drug sensitivities, hormone therapy, and lifestyle habits.
Then, your skin, chest tissue, breast and torso are assessed. After that, Dr Kernohan will recommend possible breast implant types and placements that will work for you. He will explain options with fat transfer too. You can also ask to see before and after photographs of past patients.
MTF breast implants can be either silicone or saline. You can also choose different styles and sizes. You can get low, moderate, and high projection implants and choose the desired shape. All these elements will impact how your breasts will look and feel. Smooth Round implants are the most popular. There are a number of different incision patterns that can be used based on the size, shape, and appearance of your implant.
Once Dr Kernohan has reviewed all the elements in detail, and gained a clear understanding of your goals, he will create a surgical plan which is customised to your unique goals and needs. You will be advised regarding before and after care, the recovery, and details about the follow-up appointments.
Dr Kernohan MTF Before and After Photos
Taking a look at previous MTF Top Surgery can help reassure you. You can see Dr Kernohan’s past patient before and after photos during your consultation.
Benefits of MTF Top Surgery
Some of the Benefits of MTF Top Surgery include:
1. Reduces Gender Dysphoria
This is the main reason why patients choose Male to Female MTF Top surgery. Individuals experience great distress when expectations of others don’t match their inner selves.
2. Your Body and Identity Match
You might have a great sense of relief when your body finally matches your identity. The preoccupation with having the wrong body can leave you feeling depressed.
What to Expect During MTF Top Surgery Procedure?
- The entire procedure can take around 2 to 3 hours, depending on the surgical complexity
- The procedure starts with the anaesthetist administering general anaesthesia so you can sleep comfortably through the procedure. They will monitor you thoroughly during the surgery to ensure your safety and comfort
- Then, Dr Kernohan will create an incision in one of the three possible locations: below your natural breast, around the areola, or under the arm
- Next, implants are placed and incisions will be closed with the help of sutures
- Dressings will be applied on the incision, followed by a compression bandage in order to minimise swelling that naturally occurs after surgery
What to Expect After MTF Top Surgery?
It is normal to experience swelling, soreness, and bruising post-MTF Top Surgery. These will resolve in a couple of weeks. You will be required to take a minimum of two weeks off work to rest and recover.
It is common to experience a bit of pain and discomfort as well during the initial few weeks. Keep on taking the pain meds and the discomfort will subside. Complete recovery can take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks. While the results will be immediately visible post-surgery, it is important to remember that your breasts are still swollen. The results will continue to improve as your swelling goes down over the coming months.
You will be given detailed information about your recovery process, oral and topical medications and activity schedule. Make sure to stick to the instructions as closely as possible to have a smooth recovery.
Final Results of MTF Top Surgery
MTF Top Surgery can completely alter your appearance. Once the swelling goes down, you can see the final results of your procedure. While you can immediately see the difference in your breast size after the surgery, the swelling makes it difficult to evaluate the results.
Most of the swelling will subside in about 12 weeks’ time frame and then you will be able to see the actual results of the surgery. Some residual swelling will be left which will take a couple of months to go away. The results of MTF Top Surgery are permanent.
How Much does MTF Top Surgery Costs in Sydney?
The costs of an MTF Top Surgery in Sydney depend on various factors such as:
- Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is included in the surgical quote or price estimate?
- Where is surgery performed?
- Whether surgery is a medically-indicated or cosmetic procedure
- The complexity of the case
Low-cost breast augmentation procedures in Sydney range from $7,000 to $10,000 while mid-range implant surgeries are $10,000 to $13,000. Premier quality procedures performed by a skilled specialist plastic surgeon start at $13,000 and may go up to $17,000 or even higher.
Learn more about Dr Kernohan’s plastic surgery fees on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page. Alternatively, you can contact Dr Kernohan’s team for a price estimate or to set up an appointment today. At this stage, Medicare is unlikely to subsidise your procedure although funding of Gender Surgeries is being considered in future.
Read more about having a MTF Top surgery payment plan on the financing options page.
Risks and Complications of MTF Top Surgery
Possible risks and complications associated with MTF Top Surgery include bleeding, anaesthesia risks, infection, haematoma, poor scarring, persistent pain, changes in breast/nipple sensation, wrinkling of the skin over the implant, seroma, development of tight scar tissue around the implant i.e. capsular contracture, implant rupture/leakage, the faulty position of the implant, and the possibility of having to undergo revision surgery. You may also have a slight risk of BII or BIA-ALCL. Dr Kernohan will discuss risks and complications during the consultation.
Check plastic surgery risks page for more details.
FAQs about MTF Top Surgery
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get regarding MTF Top Surgery:
Is there a specific age for getting MTF Top surgery?
- If you are 18 years old or above and physically healthy, you can get MTF top surgery done. Some individuals get it earlier than that, but parental consent is required. Many suitably counselled patients 16 to 17 years of age also seek Top Surgery. Please enquire.
Is MTF Top Surgery considered to be a major surgery?
- Yes, it is major surgery associated with certain potential risks and complications. Hence, it is very important to choose a highly experienced plastic surgeon and follow all the pre and post-op instructions.
Can you get top surgery if you’re nonbinary?
- Yes, top surgery is available to all people who would like to change their breasts’ shape and size. It includes one or more of the following; breast (re)construction, breast augmentation, breast reduction, nipple reduction, etc.
Is MTF Top Surgery painful?
- You won’t feel anything during the surgery as the surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. However, it is very normal to feel pain and discomfort during the first few days after the surgery. The discomfort can be controlled with the help of painkillers prescribed to you.
How long will it take me to heal after surgery?
- Generally, people are able to go back to work about two weeks after the surgery. However, recovery can take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks for most people.
How should I sleep after MTF Top Surgery?
- Sleep in a reclined position on your back for at least 8 weeks after top surgery. Always get a clearance from your surgeon before you start sleeping on your side or stomach.
Do I still have feeling in my nipples after MTF Top Surgery?
- After getting breast surgery you might experience changes in sensitivity around the breasts and nipples. In most cases, the changes in sensitivity or numbness is only temporary. Please ask Dr Kernohan for more details.
How long do I need to stay at the hospital after MTF Top Surgery?
- Although the procedure can be done as a day surgery, most patients stay at the hospital for at least 1 or 2 night after the procedure. This stay is necessary to ensure that you are healing well, there aren’t any complications, and you are good to go home.