Mini Neck Lift Surgery in Sydney by Dr Kernohan
A mini neck lift is a less invasive procedure compared to a neck lift surgery. It targets the same area, but it is suitable for patients with mild skin ptosis.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Michael Kernohan, is a highly experienced surgeon in Sydney and performs face surgery in Sydney’s Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands. He is a caring and talented surgeon devoted to the well-being of his patients, offering safe, effective, and affordable surgical and non-surgical options.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Facial Rejuvenation Guide
What is a Mini Neck Lift?
A mini neck lift is a surgical procedure that is designed to tighten the skin on your neck. The procedure involves removal of sagging skin, repositioning soft tissues in the neck area, and redefining the jawline to create a smoother contour. Think of it as a less invasive version of a traditional neck lift surgery as it involves smaller incisions, faster recovery and a different surgical approach.
Benefits of Mini Neck Lift Surgery
Let’s discuss some of the top benefits of the mini neck lift procedure:
- Less Scarring – The surgery involves smaller incisions. As a result, the scars are less visible and can be easily concealed
- Fewer Risks and Side Effects – as the surgery is less invasive than a traditional neck lift, it carries fewer side effects and risks. Swelling, bruising, and tenderness won’t last as long and you can recover fairly quickly from the procedure
- Not So Obvious – if you don’t want your surgery to be dramatically different, then a mini neck lift may be a perfect choice for you
- Time-Saving – the procedure is shorter and so is the recovery time. It essentially means that you have less social downtime
- Refined Neck Contour – with this surgery, Dr Kernohan aims to reduce the double chin, turkey wattles, and excess fat and improve the contour of the neck
Why Get a Mini Neck Lift?
The skin on your neck is very different from the rest of your body. It is thin, very delicate, and more prone premature ageing. The effects of ageing, sun damage, and environmental damage are more obvious on our neck and can lead to loose skin, excess fat, and wrinkles.
The procedure is recommended for people whose neck has aged faster than their face and are looking for a relatively less invasive procedure. It is a highly effective option for people with a small amount of sagging and excess skin, provided that they are in a good physical and mental state.
Preparing for a Mini Neck Lift Procedure
If you are planning to get a neck lift surgery done, you will most likely be asked to:
- Get certain medical tests done to ensure your safety
- Alter your current medications according to Dr Kernohan’s instructions
- Quit taking blood thinners, herbal supplements, and anti-inflammatory medications
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for at least a few weeks prior to the surgery
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the surgery
- Apply for a week’s time off work for rest and recovery post-surgery
Mini Neck Lift Procedure
The mini neck lift will begin with an in-depth consultation with Dr Kernohan. You will discuss all your concerns and expectations in his warm and welcoming space. During the consultation, you will be guided regarding the treatment, he will examine your neck and the quality of your skin and tell you what results can be realistically achieved. Based on all these points, he will formulate a unique treatment plan that meets your aesthetic goals.
A mini neck lift surgery generally takes an hour. The surgery is performed under local or general anaesthesia. In some cases, sedation will be used based on the needs of the patient.
First, the anaesthetic will be injected around the ears and hairline to numb the skin. Next, a small incision will be made behind the ear. Then Dr Kernohan might use a liposuction technique to get rid of the excess fat and tighten the muscles as needed. Dr Kernohan will tackle excess skin and re-drape it to create a smoother contour. The incision will be closed with sutures to conclude the procedure and place a bandage on top for security.
Mini Neck Lift Recovery
The recovery after mini neck lift surgery is short and there is no severe pain and discomfort involved during the process. It is recommended to take a week off from work to rest and recover. Make sure to wear a supportive neck garment to help your tissues heal. Typically, dissolvable stitches are used so you won’t have to come in for getting them removed.
You will be asked to come in for a follow-up visit to ensure everything is alright. Make sure to follow all the post-op instructions religiously if you want a smooth and fast recovery. Any discomfort during the first week can be easily managed with the help of prescribed painkillers. During the recovery phase, sleep on your back and keep your head in an elevated position. Stay clear of any vigorous activities and follow Dr Kernohan’s instructions regarding exercising and going back to work. In most cases, you will be cleared to go back to work and resume usual activities around the house.
Instructions to Follow after Mini Neck Lift Surgery
- Make sure to wear your neck support for the first week of the surgery.
- Take care of your dressings as per the instructions given by Dr Kernohan’s team
- Take medications regularly to help with the discomfort and fight infections. Do not skip the medications under any circumstances
- Use cold compression to minimise swelling and pain. Do not put ice directly on your skin. Always wrap it with a towel and then use it
- Keep your head slightly elevated while lying down and sleeping
- Do not have long showers, steam baths, visit saunas, and dive into swimming pools till your incisions are fully healed
- Stay clear of strenuous activities for at least two weeks after the surgery
- If your job is physically demanding, you should take at least two weeks off instead of one. Ask your surgeon before returning back to work to ensure its safe
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol as it can hinder the healing process and lead to bruising
- Do not take blood-thinning medications
- Attend all the follow-up appointments
- Rest as much as you possibly can
- Eat a healthy diet that is low in sodium
Risks and Concerns Associated with Mini Neck Lift Surgery
A mini neck lift surgery is considered to be a fairly safe procedure, provided that you choose the right surgeon and stick to all the pre and post-op instructions. However, there is always a risk involved with any kind of surgery.
Some of the side effects include:
- The tightness and tingling sensation around the neck
- Burning and pulling sensation
- Temporary numbness
Most of these side effects will fade away in a couple of weeks after the treatment. If you want more details, please check out Dr Kernohan’s potential risks and complications page.
Dr Kernohan will discuss risks and complications during the informed consent process in the consultation.
Mini Neck Lift Prices & Cost – How Much Is a Mini Neck Lift in Sydney?
Mini Neck lift surgery in Sydney, Australia varies in price. A Mini neck lift cost depends on the experience and expertise of your surgeon, their location, their hospital facility and some other factors.
Find out more on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page. Phone the clinic team for an estimate.
Medicare Coverage for Mini Neck Lift
Cosmetic Elective procedures like a Mini Neck Lift are NOT covered by Medicare. Find out more details here about getting a Medicare rebate for your plastic surgery.
You can discuss different financing options during the consultation. Neck lift payment plans are available from Medical Finance companies – find out more about financing & payment options.
Video: Who is an Ideal Candidate for Submental Liposuction?
How to Find the Right Mini Neck Lift Surgeon in Sydney
Make sure that the surgeon you choose is a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and has years of experience performing neck lift surgeries. Research the credentials and experience of your surgeon thoroughly.
Make sure to take your time in doing thorough research before you decide on the right plastic surgeon. An informed decision is a smart decision, no matter how much time it takes.
FAQs about Mini Neck Lift
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get regarding Mini Neck Lift Surgery:
How long will the results of the mini neck lift last?
- The results of mini neck lift surgery can last for 5 to 8 years before you need to consider another rejuvenating procedure. Your results may vary if you smoke or your weight fluctuates.
How painful is mini neck lift surgery?
- You won’t experience significant pain during the procedure as it is performed under anaesthesia. Post the surgery, you might feel a bit of discomfort but it isn’t anything that can’t be helped with pain killers which will be prescribed to you.
Can I get a mini neck lift done with other procedures?
- Yes, you can get a mini neck lift done along with other procedures. Most people get it one in combination with a brow lift and sometimes a facelift as well.
Can I get a mini neck lift done without a facelift?
- Of course, a mini neck lift can be done without a facelift or any other cosmetic procedures.
How much time do I need to take off from work?
- Most patients can go back to work after about 1 week. However, it varies from person to person based on their own recovery journey and the nature of their job. Always consult your surgeon prior to resuming work.
How should I sleep after a mini neck lift?
- Sleep on your back with your head in an elevated position to avoid putting any pressure on incisions and reduce swelling. Do this for a minimum of 10 to 14 days.
What is the right age for a mini neck lift?
- Although there is no age restriction on getting a mini neck lift surgery, most people undergoing the procedure are in their 40s or 50s.