Anti-Wrinkle Treatment in Sydney with Dr Kernohan
- Are you looking tired?
- Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes?
- Wrinkles on the forehead or upper lip?
Anti-wrinkle injections are a very effective non-surgical injectable procedure that can help you eliminate early signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. The treatment involves the use of a naturally-occurring substance that causes your facial muscles to relax. This inhibits muscular contractions in the area, which can significantly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Michael Kernohan, can help you get rid of unwanted signs of ageing with the help of anti-wrinkle injections or dermal filler available in 5 clinic locations in Southwest Sydney and Southern Highlands NSW.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Cosmetic Injectables Guide
What are the Benefits of Anti-Wrinkle Injections like Botox?
The treatment can give you the following benefits:
- Reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Offer a more Youthful appearance
- Requires Minimal discomfort – is virtually painless
- You can see results within a few days
- Low Downtime – Little recovery time needed
- Doesn’t require any incisions or stitches
- Fast treatment (less than 30 minutes)
- Lower risk of complications compared to facial surgery
How Anti-Wrinkle Injections help your Skin Concerns
Anti-wrinkle injections serve as neuromodulators. This means that the injected solution will relax your facial muscles by blocking the nerve signals. This will then inhibit the contraction of the muscles, which will prevent the formation of creases on the skin. Anti-wrinkle injections can also be used to treat jaw clenching or excessive sweating by blocking the signals going to the sweat glands in the armpit or hands.
“Many patients are surprised with the results that can be achieved using anti-wrinkle injections. They can literally take a years off your face if they are the right option for you. Keep in mind that for certain patients more complex procedures – such as a surgical facelift- may be recommended to get the best possible results.”Dr Michael Kernohan – Sydney Plastic Surgeon
Body Areas that Can Be Treated with Anti-Wrinkle Injections
The Botox treatment can be safely used on different parts of your body, such as:
- Facial area (eyebrow, forehead, nose, mouth, lips, and cheeks)
- Armpit, Hands or Feet
- Groin, perineal area, and buttocks
Types of Anti-Wrinkle Injections
There are different types of substances used as neuroinhibitors offered by different manufacturers. Each of the treatments uses a slightly different formula but works in the same way by blocking the nerve impulses going to the muscles. Some offer different longevity and some are more suited to different patients.
Potential Risks and Complications of Anti-Wrinkle Injections
The procedure involves minor risks and complications such as:
- Droopy eyelids
However, it is important to know that most of these side effects disappear in time with no additional treatment. To find out more about this, check out the risks and complications of plastic surgery page.
Results of Anti-Wrinkle Injections
The effects of the injectables procedure will be visible within 4-10 days after the procedure. You can expect significant changes in your appearance during this time, especially when you make facial expressions. The treatment will prevent your skin from folding, therefore making less visible existing wrinkles. It also helps prevent the formation of new lines and wrinkles. These changes are expected to last for about 3-6 months or more, depending from patient to patient.
“I was getting ready for an important event in my life, my daughter’s wedding and I wanted to look less wrinkly. The results stayed with me for more than six months, and now I’m getting the anti-wrinkle injections regularly,” said one of Dr Kernohan’s patients.
Aftercare for Anti-Wrinkle Injections
After the procedure, you should:
- Avoid extreme temperatures such as steam rooms or saunas
- Not engage in contact sports
- Avoid flying on a plane as air pressure can worsen bruising and swelling
- Do not smoke
- Avoid lipstick for 24 hours
- Don’t drink alcoholic beverages
- Avoid massaging the area or applying pressure to the area
- No salty and spicy foods as they can irritate the lips and mouth area
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 to 48 hours
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Anti-Wrinkle Injections?
The procedure is ideal for anyone who is:
- 18 years old and above
- Bothered by the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on their face
- Feeling embarrassed due to excessive sweating in different parts of their body
- Generally healthy
- Not pregnant or nursing
- Willing to follow post-treatment instructions
- Without a history of any neuromuscular disease
You are not a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are allergic to the substance used during the treatment
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have a severe degree of skin sagging – surgery might be more suitable
- You have an active skin infection
- You have bleeding or clotting disorders
- You have unrealistic expectations
- You want drastic improvement in your appearance
- You want results that can last for several years
Before the procedure, you will undergo a detailed health assessment to determine if you are a good fit for anti-wrinkle injections.
Botox Cost Sydney – How much is Anti-Wrinkle Treatment in Sydney?
The cost of anti-wrinkle injections vary depending on different factors. From the experience of the doctor, nurse or plastic surgeon, to the clinic where the procedure is performed, to the type of substance that will be injected and the amount.
Anti-Wrinkle Injections FAQs
What is the best treatment to remove wrinkles?
- The best treatment for wrinkles depends on several factors, such as the results you want to achieve, your general health, and the severity of your skin concern. If you prefer long-lasting results, you may undergo a surgical procedure to lift your skin and achieve a younger-looking appearance. However, if you don’t want a drastic procedure and prefer a non-surgical treatment, you may choose anti-wrinkle injections. To determine the best treatment specific to your needs, you will undergo an assessment of your general health as well as expectations during the initial facial treatment consultation.
How long do anti-wrinkle injections last?
- The duration of results of anti-wrinkle injections lasts around 3-6 months for most patients. But this will greatly depend on a lot of factors such as your skin condition, muscle mobility, skincare regimen, lifestyle, and the quality of the injected substance. It is important to keep in mind that you need to undergo touch-up treatments to maintain the results of anti-wrinkle injections.
At what age should you get anti-wrinkle injections?
- You can undergo preventive anti-wrinkle injections from the age of 18. In this way, you can prevent the earliest fine lines from becoming full-grown wrinkles. However, you should be in good overall health to be considered for the treatment. If you have had a lot of sun exposure or you live in high altitudes, you may need the treatment early in life as these factors can lead to premature signs of skin aging. After the first year of your treatment, it is recommended that you undergo anti-wrinkle injections twice per year to allow your muscles to recover.
How long do anti-wrinkle injections take to work?
- After your treatment, the results are not visible yet. You will need to wait 3 to 10 days for the full effects to become noticeable. It is important to keep in mind that this will depend on the severity of your skin concerns and how you care for the treated area after the procedure. To achieve the best clinical outcome, you should adhere to the post-treatment instructions that the practitioner will provide.
Are anti-wrinkle injections worth it?
- If you are looking for a non-surgical method of skin rejuvenation, anti-wrinkle injections can be a cost-effective solution. This treatment has a lower risk of complications and little to no downtime compared to surgery. In addition, the treatment is fast, and you will just need to wait for a few days for the results to become noticeable. Another advantage of the treatment is that there are low chances of scarring because it only involves the use of very fine needles to deliver the solution into the target area.
How often can you get anti-wrinkle injections?
- After the first year of your treatment, it is recommended that you undergo anti-wrinkle injections once or twice per year. This allows your muscles to recover. If you are getting the treatment regularly, you may only need to undergo anti-wrinkle injections once a year.
What you should avoid after anti-wrinkle injections?
After the treatment, it is recommended that you avoid the following to achieve the best clinical outcome and prevent complications:
- Extreme temperatures such as saunas and prolonged sun exposure
- Blood-thinning medications
- Touching the treated area
- Heavy exercise and other activities that require lifting
- Contact sports
- Sleeping on your chest or with your face pressed on the pillow
- Skincare products that contain retinol
How can I get rid of wrinkles on my face fast?
- The fastest way of getting rid of wrinkles on your face is with the help of anti-wrinkle injections. In just a few days, the treatment can smooth out fine lines and wrinkles without needing a longer recovery time.
What do plastic surgeons recommend for wrinkles?
- Aside from anti-wrinkle injections, plastic surgeons also recommended treatments like laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels, light therapy, micro-needling, and dermal fillers. They also recommend surgical procedures such as a facelift to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and deal with excess sagging skin or heavy jowls.
How can I reduce forehead wrinkles?
Anti-wrinkle injections can help reduce the appearance of forehead wrinkles. For best results, you will need the following lifestyle modifications after the treatment:
- Consume foods that are rich in antioxidants, such as broccoli, spinach, carrots, and potatoes
- Get enough sleep every night
- Increase water and fluid intake to 2 to 3 litres per day
- Limit your sugar intake
- Stop smoking
- Use a moisturiser
- Wear sunscreen
- Sleep on your back to avoid putting pressure or tension on your forehead
What is the difference between anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers?
- Anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers are both injectable treatments that are used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. While they both address these skin concerns, they differ in how they work. Anti-wrinkle injections work by temporarily inhibiting the contraction of muscles in the treated area. The treatment involves the injection of a special substance that blocks the transmission of signals going to the muscles. As a result, the muscles responsible for the formation of lines and wrinkles cannot contract. This significantly reduces the appearance of these age-related skin concerns.
- On the other hand, dermal fillers work by literally filling in the treated area with a substance that naturally occurs in your body. In most cases, this substance is responsible for maintaining hydration by locking in moisture. By replacing the lost volume and fullness in the area, dermal fillers temporarily restore the youthful state of your skin. In addition, the presence of fillers beneath your skin stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. Both of these special proteins play an integral role in the maintenance of skin elasticity and structures.
Do anti-wrinkle injections hurt?
- During the treatment, you may feel a slight pinch or sting in the treated area as the substance is injected. To minimise discomfort, ice or a numbing cream can be applied over the area before the procedure. In most cases, the application of ice is enough to provide a temporary numbing effect.
Can the effects of anti-wrinkle injections be reversed?
- Unfortunately, the effects of anti-wrinkle injections cannot be reversed. You have to wait a few months until their effects totally wear off naturally.
Will I look frozen after anti-wrinkle injections?
- You will only look frozen if too much substance is injected into the target area. This is the reason why you should choose a highly skilled and experienced practitioner. The right amount of wrinkle relaxer should be administered to create a balanced contour with natural-looking results. You should also undergo top treatments to maintain the results of the procedure.
What kind of wrinkles does anti-wrinkle injections treat?
- There are two kinds of wrinkles: dynamic and static wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles appear when you make facial expressions such as smiling, laughing, squinting, or grimacing. On the other hand, static wrinkles are evident even if your face is at rest. Anti-wrinkle injections are recommended for the treatment of dynamic wrinkles. It helps relax the muscles responsible for the formation of lines and wrinkles during facial movements.
What are the limitations of anti-wrinkle injections?
The following are the limitations of the treatment:
- It cannot correct severe skin wrinkling
- You need to undergo touch-up treatments to maintain your youthful look
- The effects of the treatment cannot be reversed
- You need to wait 3-10 days after the treatment to see the results
- The treatment is not for everyone. Thus, you will need to undergo an assessment during your consultation.
Further Reading and Medical References on Anti Wrinkle Injections & Botox:
- Anti-wrinkle injections article on Medical News Today
- Article on Web MD about wrinkle fillers
- Anti-wrinkle injections page on Mayo Clinic
Dr Michael Kernohan – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon providing a wide range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery for the face, nose, breast and body.
He also offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and a range of cancer treatments using the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for both public and private patients and currently has appointments in five Sydney hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities.
His main clinic is located in Campbelltown and he has 4 other locations – Bowral, Liverpool, Surry Hills (city) and Gregory Hills opening in late May – servicing patients in Sydney Southwest and Southern Highlands.