Breast Augmentation with Smaller Breast Implants by Dr Kernohan
A mini breast augmentation or Slimplants might be the right option for you because it uses smaller implants – usually around 100 ml to 250 ml.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan can help with small breast enhancement using smaller breast implants or fat transfer or both in Sydney.
Download Dr Michael Kernohan Breast Augmentation Guide
Benefits of a Mini Breast Augmentation
The use of smaller implants or micro breast implants can give you the following benefits:
- It doesn’t alter your activities of daily living
- It has a shorter recovery time than regular breast augmentation
- It is ideal if you are seeking breast enhancement without unwanted attention
- It suits the athletic or physically active lifestyle
The Mini Breast Augmentation Procedure
A mini breast augmentation is very similar to a regular breast enhancement procedure. However, this procedure makes use of smaller implants and incisions. As a result, it leaves less scarring and produces less dramatic results.
Prior to the surgery, Dr Kernohan will assess your general health and expectations to create a customised treatment plan specific to your needs. In addition, the risks of the surgery, care instructions, and other important information will also be discussed with you during the consultation.
During the procedure, you will receive general anaesthesia to minimise discomfort. Once the anaesthesia has taken effect, Dr Kernohan will make a small incision in your breast. The implant will be then inserted into the breast pocket. The location of the breast implant will depend on several factors such as your body anatomy and type of implant your choose.
Dr Kernohan will then make necessary adjustments until the desired breast appearance is achieved. Finally, he will close the incisions using sutures and will cover them with sterile gauze.
Breast Augmentation Photo Gallery
You can see Dr Kernohan’s past patient before and after photos during your consultation.
Ideal Candidate for Mini Breast Augmentation
A mini breast augmentation may be right for you if:
- You have realistic expectations and a positive outlook
- You are willing to follow aftercare instructions
- You want to increase your breast size but not in a way that looks disproportionate or dramatic
- You have a smaller body frame and are considering a breast enhancement while maintaining a natural look
- You are living an athletic or physically active lifestyle and don’t want your breast implants to affect your daily activities
On the other hand, mini breast augmentation might NOT be the ideal procedure for you if:
- You have bleeding or clotting disorders
- You have unrealistic expectations or goals
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have breast cancer or have an abnormal mammogram
- You have an active infection
What to Expect after a Mini Breast Augmentation
After the procedure, you might experience the following:
- Soreness and swelling are likely to last for a few weeks
- Surgical drains will be placed in your breasts to prevent the build-up of blood and body fluids
- The breast scars will fade over time but they will not disappear completely
- You will likely experience decreased breast sensation due to swelling
- You will need to avoid placing any pressure or tension on your breasts
- Please avoid smoking, vaping and drinking alcoholic beverages
- You will need to avoid strenuous activities, especially those that require heavy lifting
- Please return after a week for suture removal if non-absorbable sutures are used
- Take your pain and anti-inflammatory medications on time (even during the night)
- You will need to wear a compression bandage or sports bra after surgery
Risks and Complications of a Mini Breast Augmentation
Like any surgery, mini breast augmentation also has risks. These risks will be discussed with Dr Kernohan during your consultation and can include the following:
- Accumulation of fluid
- Anaesthesia risks such as allergic reaction, breathing difficulty, and itching
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Breast infection
- Breast pain
- Breastfeeding problems
- Breasts that appear to merge
- Capsular contracture (scarring around the implant)
- Changes in breast sensation
- Changes in the appearance of your nipple
- Implant is seen or felt through the skin
- Implant leakage or breakage
- Incorrect position of the implant
- Skin wrinkling over the implant
- Undesired or poor cosmetic results
- Unwanted scarring
Find out more about the potential risks and complications of surgery.
Recovery after a Mini Breast Augmentation
After the procedure, you might be advised to stay for 24-48 hours in the hospital or medical facility for observation. Once your condition is stable, you will be allowed to go home and will be provided with aftercare instructions. You will need a responsible person / driver to pick you up and take you home.
As you recover at home, you will need to wear compression garments to support your healing breasts. After 1-2 weeks, you can gradually resume your daily activities. However, you will need to avoid strenuous exercises and other activities that require heavy lifting to prevent complications. After 2-3 weeks, you should expect bruising and swelling to completely disappear.
How much is a Mini Breast Augmentation in Sydney?
The costs of a breast augmentation in Sydney depends on various factors such as:
- Your Surgeon’s reputation, level of expertise, qualifications
- What is being included in the surgical quote or price estimate
- Where is surgery performed – a hospital or day surgery clinic
- Whether surgery is medically-indicated or cosmetic procedure
- The complexity of the case
Low-cost breast augmentation procedures in Sydney range from $6000 to $9,000 while mid-range implant surgeries are $9,000 to $13,000+. Learn more about the prices of breast enlargement on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page.
Funding Your Mini Breast Augmentation
Health insurance providers generally do not cover the costs of an elective mini breast augmentation for cosmetic purposes. They may provide coverage if the breast enhancement procedure is performed for reconstructive and medically-initiated purposes such as implants after breast cancer removal surgery. Read more about prices of plastic surgery and payment options.
FAQs about Mini Breast Augmentation
Who is a good candidate for a mini breast augmentation?
- This procedure is right for you if you are seeking breast enhancement with natural-looking and less dramatic results. It can help you achieve fuller breasts if you have breasts that lack volume due to childbirth or significant weight loss. You are also a good candidate if you have a small body frame. Implants for slender patients typically achieve natural-looking results that are in proportion to the body anatomy. If you’re an athlete or are physically active, the procedure can also help you achieve a breast profile that will best suit your lifestyle. Most importantly, you are a good candidate for the procedure if you have realistic expectations.
What is better, round or teardrop implants?
- As the name implies, round breast implants have a round symmetrical shape. They can be filled with saline or silicone to achieve your desired breast size. On the other hand, teardrop implants have an asymmetric shape with a thin upper area that gently slopes into a more full, round base.
Round breast implants are usually better than teardrop implants because of the following reasons:
- They give your breast a more round, full appearance
- They provide more ample cleavage
- They provide a more natural look, especially when lying down (the filler is evenly distributed across your chest)
How long is the recovery after mini breast augmentation?
- The recovery time may vary from patient to patient. However, it is important to keep in mind that the procedure requires a smaller incision than regular breast enlargement. This means that the recovery time is faster. In general, you will fully recover from the surgery after 4-6 weeks.
What are my incision options for mini breast augmentation?
Knowing your incision options will give you an idea of what your scars will look like. Depending on your body anatomy and your desired results, your surgeon will use one of the following to insert the micro breast implants:
- Inframammary: this incision is created in the crease underneath your breast (inframammary fold). One of the advantages of this incision is that it allows your surgeon to insert the implants with precision
- Peri-areolar: this incision is created in the outer edge of the areola, thus, hiding the scar in the area of pigmentation. In most cases, this is used when performing mini breast augmentation with a mild to moderate breast lift
- Trans-axillary: this incision is created within the armpit, through which your surgeon will insert the implant using a special camera and instruments. It is recommended if you don’t want to have scars on your breast since the incision is located in your armpit area
- Transumbilical: this incision is created just above the belly button, through which your surgeon inserts the implant up to your breast.
Should I wait until I am done having children to have mini breast augmentation?
- Yes. It is best to wait until you are done having children because future pregnancy can significantly alter the size and shape of your breasts. These body changes may negatively affect the appearance of your enhanced breasts.
Will my nipple sensation or feeling change after a mini breast augmentation?
- After the procedure, you might experience reduced nipple sensation. This is normal and is caused by breast swelling. In general, this is only a temporary side effect.
What is the right size of breast implant for my body?
- This will greatly depend on a number of factors such as your body anatomy, desired results, and surgeon’s preferences. Choosing the right breast implant size for your body is a multi-step process. First, you will undergo a consultation to assess your general health and expectations. During this time, you will also undergo sizing selection with sizers to decide your desired breast implant size. This process allows you and your surgeon to come up with the right decision.
Do breast implants feel different than real breasts?
- This will ultimately depend on the type of implant you choose. In general, Motiva silicone implants provide the most natural look and feel. In addition, the size of your implants will also affect your breast sensation. Since a mini breast augmentation uses smaller implants, you will likely feel your breasts naturally after you have fully recovered.
How long do the results of a mini breast augmentation last?
- Just like traditional breast augmentation, you can expect the results of mini breast augmentation to last for around 10-15 years. At that point, you will need to consult with your surgeon to consider replacement of implants. If you don’t get your implants replaced, you will be at higher risk for complications such as implant rupture, implant deflation, capsular contracture, infection, and breast deformity.
Can mini breast augmentation be combined with a breast lift?
- Yes. In some cases, a breast lift is performed together with a mini breast augmentation. This combination is recommended if your breasts have lost their volume due to childbirth or significant weight loss and you have excess saggy skin
Further reading about Breast Procedures
- Read Dr Kernohan’s Breast Augmentation surgery page
- Read Dr Kernohan’s Breast Enlargement by Fat Transfer page
- Read Dr Kernohan’s blog Recovery after Breast Augmentation Surgery