Bra Line Back Lift Surgery in Sydney with Dr Kernohan
A bra-line back lift is a body contouring surgery that can help eliminate the back rolls of fat and excess skin in the upper and middle back area. Most people who get the surgery done have recently lost a significant amount of weight.
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of plastic surgery procedures, helping his patients achieve their aesthetic goals.
Download Dr Michael Kernohan Excess Skin Reduction Guide
Benefits of Bra Line Back Lift
There are many benefits of bra line back lift surgery. Some of the benefits are mentioned below:
- Having excess fat on your back can lead to back, neck and joint pain. Getting rid of the excess skin can help solve this problem for you
- The surgery can lead to increased mobility. As soon as the excess skin is removed, you will be able to move around and perform day-to-day activities with ease and increased comfort
- Excess skin covering your back can impact your posture negatively. After the surgery, you can see an improvement in your posture
- The surgical procedure is designed to remove the bulges and rolls from your upper and mid-back area. All in all, it can give your back and body a toned and contoured look
- The surgery can be performed in combination with other body contouring procedures. Some patients get it done in combination with abdominoplasty, lower body lift and breast enhancement procedures.
Is Bra Line Back Lift Surgery Right for Me?
Not everyone can undergo bra line back lift surgery. It is optimal for people who are dealing with excess loose skin on their back and have achieved a stable weight. Some patients who come in for the surgery are those who have lost a lot of weight through diet, exercise or weight loss surgery and are now left with loose skin on their back. The loose skin can be uncomfortable. It can limit physical activities. In some cases, it can lead to dermatological conditions such as rashes and skin irritation.
A bra-line back lift is a significant and extensive surgery. It is suitable for patients who do not want to lose more weight and are close to their normal weight.
Back lift surgery might be the right option for you if:
- You are dealing with excess, loose, and sagging skin on your back
- You are close to your ideal weight and have no intention to lose more weight
- You are physically healthy with no chronic illnesses
- Your skin has lost elasticity over time
- You do not smoke or can quit for the specified time period before and after the surgery
- You have realistic expectations
A bra-line back lift surgery might NOT be the right option for you if:
- You can’t have a general anaesthetic
- You are prone to excessive bleeding due to certain medical conditions
- You smoke or your body has poor healing abilities due to any other medical condition
- You are hoping to lose more weight (it is not a weight-loss procedure)
Your Bra Line Back Lift Consultation with Dr Kernohan
Ensure your consultation is with an accredited plastic surgeon who is registered with AHPRA as a specialist in plastic surgery. Dr Kernohan FRACS (Plas) will ask you about your general health and examine you as required. If, after careful assessment, you are eligible for bra line back lift surgery, expect to discuss the type of surgery, principles of the operation, likely outcomes and potential risks of surgery.
You may have more than one consultation. It can be difficult to take on board all the information in just one consultation. It is important that you have time to think about the information you have heard and get a chance to ask any questions.
Key points to discuss at the consultation include:
- Your expectations and the expected outcomes of surgery
- The benefits of the surgery
- Any concerns about surgery risks, complications or limitations
Before Your Bra Line Lift Surgery
Patients are assessed by an anaesthetist prior to the surgery. This involves assessing your overall health before getting the surgery. It might involve multiple tests and investigations. Blood tests, X rays, and ECG are some of the common tests performed before the surgery. Pictures will be taken so you can compare results.
Make sure to tell Dr Kernohan about any current medications you might be taking. It could save you from any unwanted allergic reactions and complications. Make sure you are fully satisfied with all the information presented to you, understand the procedure and the risks associated with it, the benefits, the possible results of the surgery, and have all your questions answered prior to signing the consent form.
Bra Line Back Lift Procedure
The surgery is performed in a hospital under general anaesthesia. It essentially means that you will sleep throughout the surgical procedure. Most patients are asked to stay in the hospital for a day or two to ensure their condition is stable and make sure that they are healing at the right pace.
Bra Line back lift surgery can take from 3 to 5 hours. The variation in time can be attributed to the amount of excess skin on your back. Moreover, in some cases, additional liposuction is also done as a part of the procedure.
Dr Kernohan will begin the process by marking your skin. You will be given an idea of how much skin and tissue will be removed during the surgery.
Once you are asleep, Dr Kernohan will create an incision and remove the excess tissue and fat from your back. The edges of the skin will be held and stitched together with the help of absorbable stitches to conclude the surgery. The scar will usually be placed horizontally where your bra strap sits on your body. So, you don’t need to worry about visibility.
Recovery after Bra Line Back Lift Surgery
Expect to take a minimum of two weeks off from work. However, you will have some swelling in the initial few weeks and it can take up to 8 weeks for you to see the results of the surgery. For the first week or two, it will be very difficult to move your arms around and you might have a limited range of motion.
Make sure you arrange for someone to drive you home after the surgery. If you can, ask someone to help you around the house for the first few days of the recovery period. You will be asked to take antibiotics and analgesics to avoid discomfort and prevent infections post-surgery.
Heavy feeling in the upper body, tightness of the skin, discomfort and soreness are a normal part of the recovery. Within the first two weeks, all these symptoms will start to improve and eventually fade away completely. It is also common to experience numbness on the treated site after surgery but this is temporary. Make sure to take all the pain medication and antibiotics prescribed by Dr Kernohan to stay comfortable and prevent infections. Do not skip these meds if you want a comfortable recovery. Sleep on your back with your head in an elevated position for the first few weeks after the surgery. This will minimise swelling and prevent putting too much pressure on the upper back area.
Make sure to stick to all the instructions given by Dr Kernohan on taking care of yourself post-surgery. Once the 8 weeks are over, you can begin scar minimisation treatments such as silicone gels or sheets treatments and massage oils to minimise the appearance of scars.
During the recovery phase, stay clear of all sorts of strenuous physical activities. With each passing week, the swelling will go down and you will get closer and closer to the final results of the surgery. The residual swelling will linger on post the eight-week mark. Don’t worry as it is barely visible. Make sure to wear loose, comfortable, and breathable clothing that is easy to take on and off during the recovery period.
Video: How to fix loose arm skin?
How Much Is a Bra Line Back Lift Surgery in Sydney?
If you want to undergo a bra line back lift surgery in Sydney, please note that the prices will vary based on the experience and expertise of the surgeon and plenty of other factors like the hospital and length of theatre time required.
Learn more about plastic surgery fees on Dr Kernohan’s pricing page.
Alternatively, you can contact Dr Kernohan’s team for a price estimate or set up an appointment.
Funding Your Lower Body Lift Surgery
In some cases, you might get Medicare or your health insurance to cover part of the surgery. Find out more details about Medicare item numbers for Bra Line Back Lift Surgery.
Read more about a Bra Line Back Lift payment plan on the financing options page.
How to find the best Bra Line Back Lift Surgery Surgeon in Sydney?
Choosing the plastic surgeon to play out your intervention is one of the most important steps to ensure the success of your procedure. An experienced, talented plastic surgeon can help you achieve the results you desire and minimise the risks and complications that could occur during the recovery period.
Make sure to take your time in choosing the plastic surgeon for your Bra Line Back Lift Surgery in Sydney. The plastic surgeon should be someone you can connect with and speak freely and honestly about your goals and expectations.
Bra Line Back Lift FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get regarding the bra line back lift surgery:
Can I get other body contouring procedures along with a bra line back lift surgery?
- Yes, it might be combined with a tummy tuck– abdominoplasty, breast lift and other cosmetic surgery procedures.
Will I have a scar after surgery?
- Yes, you will have a scar after the bra line back lift surgery. However, the scar is horizontal and it will be well hidden by the bra strap or swimwear. You can get started on your scar removal topical treatments once the initial 8 weeks have passed. Generally, the scar will lighten significantly on its own within one year. You can also opt for scar removal treatments such as laser, skin resurfacing, and others once you are fully healed.
Are the results of the bra line backlift permanent?
- The results of bra line back lift surgery are regarded as long-lasting, provided that you maintain a stable weight after the surgery.