Neck Lift Surgery Sydney by Dr Kernohan
- Sagging neck skin?
- Unsightly turkey neck gobble?
- Unsightly jowls?
Excess sagging neck skin or heavy jowls can make you look prematurely old. A neck lift or lower facelift surgery can help restore a more youthful facial appearance and contoured chin.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Michael Kernohan is a highly experienced neck lift surgeon in Sydney and performs facial surgery in Sydney’s Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands. He is a caring and talented surgeon devoted to your well-being offering safe, effective, and affordable surgery options.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Facial Rejuvenation Guide
Why Have a Neck Lift?
The skin on your neck is very thin and delicate and that is why it is more prone to the effects of aging, sun damage and gravity. It is one of the first areas on the body that shows the signs of aging. As a result, some of us are left with loose skin around the jawline and chin, fine lines and wrinkles around the neck.
The neck is an integral part of your overall appearance. If the skin on your neck looks radiant and rejuvenated, it can make you look more youthful. A neck lift can get rid of the loose, sagging skin, and give you a toned and smooth neck.
It is ideal for people whose neck has aged faster than their face and are looking to revitalize the skin of their neck and turn the clock backwards. Some people get it in combination with a facelift, blepharoplasty, and brow lift as well.
Benefits of Neck Lift Surgery
“The neck lift surgery is a very interesting procedure. It can literally erase some signs of aging that are visible at the level of the neck and help you achieve a more youthful appearance.”Dr. Kernohan
Let’s look at the top benefits of neck lift surgery:
- No wrinkles and fine lines – Neck lift surgery actually eliminates the wrinkles and fine lines that have formed on your neck over the years and give you a youthful-looking neck
- Tightens underlying muscles – Neck lift surgery not only tightens the skin of your neck but also works on tightening the muscles underneath for a sculpted look
- Contoured jawline/ chin – The procedure will give you a better defined chin and jawline while eliminating all the sagging skin underneath these areas
- Bye, bye, platysmal bands – Platysmal bands are very common and nearly all of us start to develop them in our late twenties. With a neck lift, you can eliminate the unsightly look
- Youthful looks – After getting the neck lift surgery, you will look more youthful and rejuvenated
- Improved confidence – If you have been self-conscious about your neck and you are always trying to cover it up with turtle necks blouses and scarfs, undergoing the surgery can restore your confidence
Preparing for a Neck Lift Procedure
If you are planning to get a neck lift surgery, you will be asked to:
- Get medical testing done as recommended by your surgeon
- Adjust your current medications as per the instructions of your surgeon
- Quit smoking for at least six weeks before getting a neck lift done
- Do not take aspirin, herbal supplements, or any anti-inflammatory drugs
- Arrange for someone to drive you home on the day of the surgery
- Take at least a week’s time off from work to rest and recover
Neck Surgery Procedure – The Surgical Aproach
The neck lift will begin with an in-depth consultation with Dr Kernohan’s. He will call you in to discuss all your concerns and expectations in his warm and welcoming space. During the consultation, you will be guided regarding the treatment, he will examine your neck and the quality of your skin, and will tell you what results you can realistically achieve. Based on all these points, he will formulate a unique treatment plan that meets your aesthetic goals.
Neck lift surgery can take up to 2 or 3 hours. The neck lift surgery itself varies from person to person depending on their unique concerns and needs. The surgery is performed with the patient under general anaesthesia. Generally, the surgeon will tighten the underlying muscles, trim excess skin and fat, and reshape the overall neck structure. The goal is to elongate the submental plane (area under the chin) and achieve a youthful look as well as a firmer neck contour.
The surgeon will close the incisions with absorbable sutures and place a bandage on top for added security.
Recovery after a Neck Surgery
As the surgery is performed with the help of general anaesthesia, you will feel the effects of the anaesthesia for some hours after the surgery. Make sure that you arrange for someone to drive you home in advance.
In some cases, a small tube will be attached to your neck to collect extra fluid under your skin. You will also have sutures and a tight bandage wrapped around your neck. Swelling can take several weeks to subside fully.
“The recovery period after the neck lift surgery was easy compared to what I expected,” mentions one of Dr. Kernohan’s patients. “I thought there would be pain and considerable discomfort, but it was enough to pay a little attention to how I rested and it was actually enough.“
You will need at least a week off from work to rest and recover fully. Make sure you have someone to help you around with the house chores during this time. Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions regarding the recovery phase.
Instructions to Follow after Neck Surgery
- Make sure to wear your bandage for the first week of the surgery. Take care of your dressings as per the instructions given by your surgeon
- Be sure to take medications regularly to help with the discomfort and fight infections. Do not skip the medications
- Use a cold compress to minimize swelling and pain. Avoid putting ice directly on your skin. Wrap it around with the help of a towel
- Keep your head slightly elevated while lying down
- Do not opt for long showers, steam baths, visit saunas, and dive into swimming pools for at least the first few weeks after the surgery
- Stay clear of strenuous activities for at least two weeks after the surgery
- If your job is physically demanding, you should take at least two weeks off. Ask your surgeon before returning back to work
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol as it can hinder the healing process
- Do not take blood-thinning medications as they can worsen the bruising
- Go for all the follow-up appointments without fail
- Rest as much as you possibly can and eat a healthy diet
Risks and Concerns Associated with Neck Lift Surgery
Like every other surgery, a neck lift also comes with potential risks and complications. There are also common side effects following the procedure that are normal to occur. Some of the side effects include:
- The tightness and tingling sensation
- Burning and pulling sensation
- Temporary numbness
These side effects are often gone without treatment after the first few weeks post-op.
If you want more details, please check out Dr. Kernohan’s potential risks and complications page.
Are You a Suitable Candidate for Neck Lift?
You are the right candidate for a neck lift if you:
- Want to get rid of wrinkles around your neck
- Have sagging skin
- Are bothered by heavy jowls
- Have a positive outlook and realistic expectations from the treatment
- Are a non-smoker or can quit smoking for a specified duration
- Do not drink or are willing to give it up for some time
- Are free from any medical conditions that can hinder the healing process
Neck Lift Prices & Cost – How Much Is a Neck Lift in Sydney?
Neck lift surgery in Sydney, Australia can cost you around $14,000 to $22,000. The neck lift cost depends on the experience and expertise of your surgeon, their location, their hospital facility and some other factors.
Find out more on Dr. Kernohan’s pricing page.
Will Medicare Cover Neck Lift?
No, a neck lift is an elective plastic surgery procedure and Medicare will not cover it. You will have to pay for it yourself. You can discuss different financing options with your surgeon during the consultation.
Neck lift payment plans are available from Medical Finance companies – find out more about financing & payment options.
How to Find the Best Neck Lift Surgeon in Sydney
Make sure that the surgeon you choose is a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons and has years of experience performing neck lift surgeries. Research the credentials and experience of the surgeon thoroughly.
You can also go ahead and find what other patients have to say about a particular surgeon. Online, you can find plenty of reviews on the surgeon’s website, social media handles, reviews sites, and forums. You can also ask around in your circle if anybody has had a neck lift done.
Make sure to take your time in doing thorough research before you decide on the right surgeon. An informed decision is a smart decision, no matter how much time it takes.
Ask Your Neck Lift Surgeon the Right Questions
It is important to ask the right questions during the initial consultation with your plastic surgeon:
- How many neck lift surgeries have you performed in the past?
- Which surgical facility do you recommend for my surgery?
- How much will the neck lift surgery cost me?
- What are the potential risks and complications involved with neck lift surgery?
- How do you plan to handle any risks and complications?
- What if something goes wrong during the surgery?
- How involved you will be during the recovery phase?
- What if I am not satisfied with the results of the surgery?
- What if something goes wrong during the recovery phase?
Trust Your Gut
Now, that you have done your research, read enough, visited the surgeon, asked all the right questions, it is time to trust your instinct. If you feel comfortable with the surgeon and can trust him completely, go ahead and proceed with the surgery.
Neck Lift FAQs – Questions about Neck Surgery
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about the neck lift surgery:
How do I fix my saggy neck?
- The only way to permanently fix sagging skin on the neck is to get a neck lift surgery. Dr. Kernohan has found that many non surgical treatments and tightening devices provide inadequate results.
How do I fix a turkey neck?
- Neck tightening surgery can fix a turkey neck and give you a more smooth, firm, and youthful neck contour.
How long does a neck lift last?
- The results of neck surgery can last 10 years or more.
Does a neck lift get rid of jowls?
- Yes, neck surgery can help eliminate the jowls as well.
What is the best age for a neck lift?
- Although, there is no age restriction on getting a neck lift surgery, most people undergoing the procedure are between their 40s and 60s.
How painful is neck tightening surgery?
- The surgeon performs the surgery with the patient under general anaesthesia so you won’t feel a thing during the procedure. You might feel a bit of discomfort during the first week after the surgery, but there is no significant level of pain.
What is a mini neck lift?
- A mini neck lift is a surgical procedure that removes a little of the excess skin from the neck and under the chin.
What is the best neck tightening procedure?
- A neck lift is a the best neck tightening procedure and a long- term solution to excess neck skin.
Is neck surgery worth it?
- If you are not pleased with the aspect of your neck and you are looking for a treatment, a neck surgery performed by a plastic surgeon is totally worth it. Real Self patient surveys indicate 95% patient satisfaction with neck lift.
Can I get the neck lift done with another procedure?
- Yes, a lot of patients get neck lift done with procedures like facelift and brow lift. It is very common for people to get it done with a combination of other treatments.
How much is the recovery time post neck lift?
- The initial recovery will take a week after the neck lift surgery. However, it can take you up to 4 weeks to feel like yourself and resume all the usual activities.
When can I return back to work after neck surgery?
- Most people can go back to work a week after getting a neck lift. If your job is physically intensive, it is best to discuss it with your surgeon prior to resuming work.
Can I get a neck lift without a facelift?
- Of course, the plastic surgeon can perform the neck lift independently of other procedures.
Further Reading about Neck Lift Surgery
Dr Michael Kernohan – Specialist Plastic Surgeon in Sydney NSW
Dr Michael Kernohan is a Sydney Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon providing a wide range of services from skin cancer to cosmetic surgery for the face, nose, breast and body.
He also offers complex reconstructive procedures following trauma and a range of cancer treatments using the most innovative and up-to-date treatment options.
Dr Kernohan is able to care for both public and private patients and currently has appointments in five Sydney hospitals and has an additional leadership role as Director of Surgical Specialities.
His main clinic is located in Campbelltown and he has 4 other locations – Bowral, Liverpool, Surry Hills (city) and Gregory Hills opening in late May – servicing patients in Sydney Southwest and Southern Highlands.