Dr Varun Harish FRAC (Plas) – Specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Sydney NSW
About Dr Harish MBBS(Hons I), BSc(Med)Hons, MS(Plast.), PhD, FRACS (Plast)
Dr Harish is a Specialist Plastic, Reconstructive and Burns Surgeon specialising in skin cancer and melanoma, burns, complex microsurgical reconstruction and body contouring surgery.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr Harish continues to engage actively in research and supervises a number of Masters of Surgery and Doctor of Medicine postgraduate students. His research has been widely published and presented at regional and international meetings. Dr Harish holds senior lecturer positions with both the University of New South Wales and University of Sydney.
Dr Harish’s Medical Training
After graduating from the University of New South Wales with First-Class Honours and academic accolades, Dr Harish undertook advanced, rigorous surgical training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery under the auspices of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Dr Harish was then selected for competitive international subspecialty fellowships in complex microsurgery and burns in the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
In 2012, he completed a Master of Surgery degree through the University of Sydney under the supervision of Emeritus Professor John Thompson and Dr Kenneth Lee.
His formative years here together with awards for research excellence at RPAH (such as the John Segelov Memorial Scholarship) led to a strong passion for research and academia.
Dr Harish was selected to undertake advanced, rigorous surgical training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery under the auspices of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
In 2018, Dr Harish completed a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree with a thesis that examined the early management of burn injuries in New South Wales. His research has since been widely published and presented at regional and international meetings and led to his appointment as a Reviewer for Burns, the premier medical journal worldwide in the field of burns surgery.
Dr Harish’s pivotal research also led to prestigious academic awards including the John Brooke Moore Research Scholarship from the University of Sydney.
In 2021 Dr Harish received his FRACS (Plas) fellowship from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Dr Harish’s Surgical Experience
Upon completion of his surgical training, Dr Harish was selected for competitive international subspecialty fellowships in microsurgery and burns in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. He was granted a highly contested Younger Fellows Scholarship by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons to support his subspecialty training overseas.
Dr Harish returned to Sydney and took up consultant positions at premier plastic surgical units at Liverpool and Royal North Shore Hospitals, where he mentors the future generation of Plastic Surgeons.
Research and Academic Interests
In addition to his clinical work, Dr Harish continues to engage actively in research and supervises a number of Masters of Surgery and Doctor of Medicine postgraduate students.
He was recently appointed by the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons as an Associate Editor to the Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery journal, the premier medical journal worldwide in the field of plastic surgery.
Dr Harish’s Publications and Media
- First aid improves clinical outcomes in burn injuries – PubMed
- Laparoscopic-assisted deep inferior epigastric artery perforator (DIEP) flap in breast reconstruction – PubMed
- Oztag: high risk for hand injuries? – Pub Med
- Australian first surgical procedure to help Breast Cancer Patient – Ramsay Health
Dr Harish’s Hospital Accreditations
- Campbelltown Private Hospital (Campbelltown, NSW)
- Liverpool Hospital (Liverpool, NSW)
- Sydney Southwest Private Hospital (Liverpool, NSW)
- Royal North Shore Hospital (St Leonards, NSW)
- Mater Hospital Sydney (North Sydney, NSW)
- North Shore Private Hospital (St Leonards, NSW)
- The Children’s Hospital At Westmead
- Womens And Childrens Hospital
Dr Harish’s Qualifications & Memberships
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
Dr Harish’s AHPRA Medical Registration Number
Dr Harish’s Surgical Procedures include
- Cyst Removal
- Mole Removal
- Lipoma Removal
- Scar revision surgery and Scar Reduction
- Benign skin conditions
- Nerve and Tendon injuries
- Hand Fractures and Trauma
- Carpal Tunnel release
- Dupuytren’s surgery
- Trigger finger release
- Complex Hand Injuries and Hand Trauma
- Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy / Cancer
- Head and Neck Reconstruction after Cancer or Trauma
- Burns Surgery
Where to Consult with Dr Harish – Sydney Locations
Currently, Dr Harish is practicing in both public and private hospitals in Sydney and offers consultations in Sydney’s Southwest for private patients in Gregory Hills.