Pinnaplasty & Otoplasty Sydney – Ear Correction Surgery by Dr. Kernohan
Otoplasty or Pinnaplasty is ear plastic surgery that can change the shape, position, and size of your ears.
The ear procedure might be recommended if your ears stick out they are misshaped or too big or small for your face. The procedure can be performed at any age when the ears have reached their full size.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Michael Kernohan is a highly experienced plastic surgeon and performs otoplasty in Sydney’s Southwest Suburbs and the Southern Highlands.
CLICK to Download Dr Michael Kernohan Facial Rejuvenation Guide
Why Get an Otoplasty?
Otoplasty might be the optimal procedure for you if:
- Your ears stick out a little too far from your head
- Your ears are large or small when compared to the rest of your face
- You are not satisfied with the results of previous ear surgery
Benefits of Ear Surgery or Otoplasty
Let’s explore tsome of the benefits of getting otoplasty:
1. Corrects Ear Features
Otoplasty can correct a number of ear imperfections such as protruding ears, cauliflower ears, cupped or folded ears and ears that are too large or small for your face.
2. A Safe Procedure
Otoplasty is a safe plastic surgery procedures when performed by the right surgeon. Hence, you can get it without worrying about complications.
About the Otoplasty Procedure
There are several kinds of Otoplasty procedures:
1. Ear Enlargement:
The procedure is recommended for small or underdeveloped ears. In this case, ear augmentation is used to increase the size of ears to match the rest of the face.
2. Ear Pinning:
This particular type of otoplasty is recommended for protruding ears. It involves drawing the ears closer to the head to give them a normal look.
3. Ear Reduction:
The procedure is suitable for you if you have Macrotia (a condition when your ears are larger than the rest of your face). Ear reduction is done to reduce the size of the ears.
4. Ear repairs for trauma, stretched or ripped earlobes
Otoplasty can also help repair the look of damaged ears
Otoplasty Surgery Consultation with Dr. Kernohan
Like any other plastic surgery, the procedure will begin with an initial consultation with Dr Kernohan. During the consultation, the following elements will be taken into account:
- Medical history review
Any good surgeon will begin the consultation by briefly going over your medical history. Be ready to answer questions about any illnesses, allergies, and surgeries you have had in the past.
Next comes the ear examination. This is when Dr Kernohan will examine your ears thoroughly; placement, size, and shape. The surgeon will also take measurements and pictures.
- Discussion & Listening
Dr Kernohan will discuss your problems, your expectations, inform you about the procedure, costs, and any potential risks.
Dr Kernohan will conclude the consultation by asking you if you have any questions. Use this opportunity to clarify all your problems and concerns. Don’t be hesitant and make sure that you are completely satisfied.
How is Otoplasty Performed?
Otoplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis.
Ear surgery can take from 1 to 3 hours depending on your unique requirements and complexity of the surgery.
The surgery is typically done under local anaesthesia but in some cases, general anaesthesia may be used. The technique used for the surgery depends on the type of otoplasty surgery. Generally speaking, the otoplasty involves the following steps:
- Dr Kernohan will create an incision on the back/inside the folds of your ears
- Then he will manipulate your ear tissue (it includes removal of skin/cartilage, folding of ears, shaping ears with the help of permanent stitching or cartilage grafting)
- Dr Kernohan will conclude the surgery by closing incisions with the stitches and bandaging
Recovery after Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Otoplasty recovery can take a total of two to three weeks. It is important to take proper care of yourself during this time. After your procedure, Dr Kernohan will place the dressing over your ears. It is important to keep your incisions clean and dry at all times. Additionally, you need to pay attention to some things such as:
- Do not touch or scratch your ears excessively
- Sleep on your back, make sure you aren’t resting on your ears
- Wear loose front-opening clothing items so that clothes don’t rub over your ears
Please note that if Dr Kernohan chooses to use non-absorbable stitches, you will need to see him to remove them when the incisions heal.
What to do After Otoplasty Ear Surgery Procedure?
Here are a few instructions you need to adhere to when it comes to post-surgical care:
1. Keep your head elevated
In order to facilitate proper blood flow, you must keep your head in a slightly elevated position. Sleeping in a recliner or keeping a few pillows stacked underneath your head always helps. It will help minimise the risk of excessive inflammation or redness.
2. Keep your head cool and dry
You will have to wear bandages for a while after otoplasty. It is important to keep your head cool and dry. Keep the room temperature cool and avoid using heat tools such as blow driers and straighteners for a while. If your head feels too hot at any point, use a cool pack.
3. Take medications regularly
Dr Kernohan will prescribe you medications to alleviate pain and discomfort. Make sure that you are taking them regularly to help with wound healing and avoid any infections.
4. Eat a healthy diet
Make sure to eat a healthy and balanced diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, nutrients, complex carbs, healthy fats, and proteins.
5. Take care of your dressings and headbands
Surgical dressings and headbands are not only meant to keep your ears safe but also in place. Moving them around can interfere with the recovery process. It can leave you more likely to have infections and can cause serious injury to the ears. Hence, it is important to follow all the instructions provided by Dr Kernohan.
More Suggestions for Otoplasty Recovery Period
6. Do not touch your ears
Avoid touching and rubbing your ears excessively. Avoid rubbing them at all costs and try to avoid all sorts of accidental rubs. Be extremely cautious of your surroundings and try not to hit your ears against anything.
7. Quit smoking
It is important to avoid smoking at all costs as it can hinder the recovery process. Smoking can prevent oxygen from reaching the injured tissues and can lead to delayed wound healing, skin necrosis and other unwanted complications.
8. Rest well – Avoid intense activities and exercise
Your body needs proper time to heal and recover. Avoid all sorts of intense activities such as heavy lifting, exercise and all sorts of strenuous activities. You can resume your normal exercise program when your surgeon gives you a go.
9. Avoid washing your hair for a while
As discussed earlier, it is important to keep your incisions clean and dry. Avoid using shampoo and other hair care products for at least a week after getting otoplasty as it can lead to complications and even infection.
Potential Risks and Complications after Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Although otoplasty is considered to be a fairly safe procedure, there are always certain risks and concerns associated with undergoing surgery. Some of these potential risks are the same for all surgical interventions – infection, changes in skin sensitivity and so on. Others are more specific to the procedure performed.
Find out more details about the potential risks and complications of plastic surgery.
How Much is Ear Surgery in Sydney?
The Otoplasty price for quality ear correction surgery in Sydney varies depending on the type of procedure performed and the type of doctor performing the procedure.
The cost of the procedure varies due to factors such as location, surgeon experience and expertise.
Medicare may cover Otoplasty if you meet the strict requirements and the maximum age.
You can fund your surgery with medical finance or an Ear Surgery Payment Plan. Check out the payment plans page for more details.
Please email or phone the clinic for an estimated price for your ear surgery.
How to Choose the Right Ear Surgeon in Sydney
Here are the four important qualities you need to look for in a top ear surgeon:
- Experience – Choose a surgeon based on experience and talent. A highly experienced surgeon has performed much more otoplasties compared to someone with less experience
- Results – Always ask a surgeon to show you before and after pictures of past clients who have had similar ear issues to yours. This will give you an idea of how your results will look
- Hospital privileges – Make sure that your surgeon has accredited hospital privileges to perform the procedure. It demonstrates a good reputation in the medical community and says a lot about the capabilities of your surgeon
- Personal attention – A consultation will tell you a lot about the surgeon. You will have an idea of whether you want to proceed with the surgeon or not. Make sure the surgeon answers all your questions and you feel comfortable going forward with him
Ear Surgery – Otoplasty FAQs
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about otoplasty:
What is the best age for otoplasty?
- Otoplasty is a relatively straightforward procedure. Generally speaking, you can get it at any age. There is an age limit if you want medicare or insurance funding.
At what age can you get ears pinning surgery?
- You can get the ear pinning done at any age.
How do I pin my ears back?
- You can pin your ears back by getting an otoplasty or pinnaplasty ear procedure.
Can I get surgery to make my ears smaller?
- Yes, you can get the otoplasty procedure to make your ears smaller.
Is otoplasty permanent?
- Yes, the results achieved with an otoplasty procedure are considered permanent.
Does otoplasty surgery hurt?
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia so there is no pain during the procedure. After the procedure, you might experience a certain level of discomfort that can be easily alleviated with analgesic medication.
How long does it take to recover from ear surgery?
- Make sure to take at least 7 days off from work for the initial recovery phase. Complete recovery can take several weeks.
How do you sleep after ear surgery?
- You need to sleep with your head elevated in a recliner or with the help of two pillows. Sleep on your back. Avoid sleeping on the side at all costs.
Do ears grow back after otoplasty?
- The ears will not usually grow back after otoplasty in case of adult patients. If a child gets otoplasty, the ears may continue to grow as per their natural growth pattern.
Why do ears stick out?
- The main cause of protruding ears is an underdeveloped antihelical fold.
How difficult is otoplasty?
- Otoplasty is a fairly simple procedure but it should be performed by a plastic surgeon.
Can you have otoplasty twice?
- If done correctly, otoplasty is performed only once. In some cases, patients require a second otoplasty to correct the issues in their first procedure. This is known as revision otoplasty surgery.