Why wear Compression Garments after an Abdominoplasty?
- Are you considering getting a tummy tuck– abdominoplasty surgery?
- Interested in finding out more details about the recovery after abdominoplasty?
- Do you know why it’s important to wear compression garments after an abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty is one of the most common aesthetic procedures and involves the removal of excess fat and skin in order to obtain a firmer abdomen. One of the most important elements for recovery after abdominoplasty surgery is wearing an abdominal corset or compression garment. The compression garment is often made of an elastic material that is placed around the abdomen, like a belt. It should be comfortable and at the same time apply constant pressure. Its dimensions cover the area from under the breasts to the hips, so it is applied over the area that was treated and a little over.
When considering getting a complex procedure such as a tummy tuck– abdominoplasty, make sure to get an experienced plastic surgeon. Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Michael Kernohan has helped hundreds of patients with abdominoplasty surgery.
Click to Download Dr Michael Kernohan’s Excess Skin Reduction Guide
Instructions after Abdominoplasty Surgery
To achieve optimal results after a tummy tuck– abdominoplasty, it is important to closely follow the post-operative instructions provided by your surgeon. Here are some general guidelines to help you recover and achieve the best results:
- Wear your compression garment: As mentioned, a compression garment helps to reduce swelling, support the abdominal tissues, and promote optimal healing. Wear the garment as directed by your surgeon.
- Limit physical activity: Avoid strenuous physical activity for several weeks after surgery. This includes heavy lifting, running, and high-impact exercises. Gentle walking is encouraged to help with circulation and reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Avoid heavy lifting: Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for several weeks after surgery to reduce the risk of complications and ensure optimal healing.
- Manage pain and swelling: You may experience some pain and swelling after surgery. Take pain medication as prescribed and apply cold compresses to help reduce swelling.
- Follow a healthy diet: Eating a balanced and nutritious diet can help you heal faster and reduce the risk of complications.
- Avoid exposure to the sun: Avoid exposing the incision site to the sun for several months after surgery to reduce the risk of scarring.
- Follow all post-operative instructions: Your surgeon will provide you with specific instructions for your post-operative care. Follow these instructions closely to achieve the best possible results and reduce the risk of complications.
It is important to follow these guidelines and to report any concerns or complications to your surgeon promptly. If you have any questions or concerns about your post-operative care, it is best to speak with your surgeon.
Why Must the Corset Be Worn After Abdominoplasty?
A corset or garment is a vital element in the recovery process and must be worn for the entire period recommended by the surgeon, even if it may create some discomfort.
The success of any cosmetic surgery depends not only on the skill of the surgeon, but also on the quality of post surgery medical care; compression therapy being crucial for satisfactory healing. Wearing the correct postoperative garment speeds up the healing process, minimises swelling and bruising, and reduces pain. For this reason, compression garments are an important part of surgery. Patients who wear compression garments after plastic surgery have reported more satisfactory results.
Post-operative compression garments help keep the muscles in place after the procedure and eliminate swelling caused by possible fluid build-up. Adequate pressure and support are essential, so when looking for the right garment, make sure you look at all the factors: fit, comfort, shape, pressure and sizing.
Patients are less mobile after surgery. For this reason, a good post-surgical compression garment should offer different types of fixation. Good quality compression garments are manufactured to facilitate dressing and wearing; they can be worn throughout the recovery period without causing discomfort or interrupting any daily activity.
Benefits of Wearing Compression Garments after a Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty
A high-quality corset often starts right under the breasts, where there is a wide elastic band that prevents the material from slipping. The abdominal surface is reinforced with a double-padded material for optimal compression in this area. The zipper could be located on the left side, so as not to irritate the treatment area of the abdomen.
- Decreases the risk of collection of serous fluids
Serous fluids may fill the “pockets” under the skin (when blood accumulates, the collection is known as a hematoma). The collection of these fluids is the most common complication associated with abdominoplasty surgery. Wearing the corset applies constant pressure and is designed to push the tissues so that the chances of collecting these fluids are minimised or eliminated.
- Improves blood circulation
At the same time, the corset helps with optimal blood circulation and it is known that good circulation is a very important element in the recovery process, because this is how the necessary nutrients are delivered to the areas that need to be healed. Good circulation also reduces the possibility of swelling, bruising and the risk of blood clots.
- It brings more comfort for patients
Despite expectations, the corset can bring more comfort because it keeps the tissues together during movement. The fact that they are tight and allow movement offers more relaxation, some people even wear it more than is recommended.
- It provides better contouring of the abdomen
The corset also helps with a better abdominal contour. It is very important to minimise the irregularities of the abdomen contour, because they would be very difficult to correct or may become permanent. It is also important how the corset is arranged and fixed, a mistake in this process can lead to permanent negative results. To avoid these problems, it is recommended to follow all the surgeon’s advice and instructions to the letter.
How to Choose the Best Compression Garments for You
If you’ve recently had a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) or are considering one, compression garments may be just what you need to help speed up your recovery time and ensure that the results of your surgery last. Compression garments provide support to the abdominal area after surgery, reducing swelling and helping the skin to conform more quickly to its new contours. In addition, compression can reduce pain and discomfort associated with abdominoplasty. But not all compression garments are created equal – so how do you choose the best compression garment for your needs?
A corset is a great option because it provides maximum compression while still allowing for movement and flexibility. Corsets come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so it’s important to get one that fits you properly. You should also make sure to choose a corset made from breathable fabrics such as cotton or spandex for maximum comfort during recovery.
What Happens If You Don’t Wear Compression Garments After A Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty Surgery?
Wearing compression garments after an abdominoplasty surgery is an important part of the post-operative recovery process. If a patient does not wear a compression garment as directed by their surgeon, they may experience the following consequences:
- Poor healing and scarring: The compression garment helps to reduce swelling and support the abdominal tissues as they heal after surgery. If a patient does not wear the garment, swelling may persist and the tissues may be more prone to stretching and scarring.
- Increased risk of complications: Compression garments help to reduce the risk of post-operative complications, such as blood clots and infection. If a patient does not wear the garment, their risk of these complications may increase.
- Delayed healing: Without the support of a compression garment, the abdominal muscles and tissues may not heal as quickly, which can lead to a longer recovery time.
- Poor cosmetic results: The compression garment helps to promote optimal healing and reduce swelling, which can affect the final cosmetic outcome of the surgery. If a patient does not wear the garment, they may not achieve the desired cosmetic results.
It is important to follow the post-operative instructions provided by your surgeon, including wearing a compression garment, to promote optimal healing and minimise the risk of complications. If you have questions or concerns about your post-operative care, it is best to speak with your surgeon.
FAQs about Compression Garments after Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty
Will breathing be affected?
- There are patients who complain that wearing the corset affects their breathing. Although it must be tight, the corset is not allowed to prevent proper breathing. Also, it must not cause any kind of pain while being worn. In some cases, patients breathe very hard, not because of the corset, but because they are breathing incorrectly.
How long should the compression garment be worn?
- Wearing the corset can help in a faster recovery and return to normal activities in the shortest possible time. The time required to wear the corset depends on the patient and the doctor is the only one able to give a correct term. This decision is based on individual circumstances, what type of abdominoplasty was performed and even the weather. Depending on what the doctor determines, it can be worn for around six or eight weeks.
Will I wear it day and night?
- This decision can only be taken by a doctor. Some doctors recommend wearing the corset during the day, but also during sleep, while others suggest wearing it only for around 10 hours and during certain more demanding movements.
What advantages do compression garments have?
- When it comes to compression garments after abdominoplasty, there are many advantages. Compression helps your body heal faster by providing extra support and stability for the incision site, reducing tension on sutures and aiding in post-operative healing. It also reduces pain associated with an abdominoplasty. Furthermore, compression garments can help to reduce swelling and promote more rapid tissue regeneration. Finally, compression garments hold the abdominal skin tightly against the underlying muscles so that even after you’ve healed, your tummy will appear smooth and firm.
Is it enough to wear compression garments to have a quick and successful recovery?
- In addition to choosing the right compression garment, there are other important steps you can take to ensure a successful recovery after abdominoplasty. Make sure to follow all of your surgeon’s post-operative instructions closely and be sure to rest and avoid strenuous activity until directed by your doctor. With the right compression garment and post-operative care, you’ll be able to enjoy your new figure sooner rather than later! Consult with a qualified plastic surgeon for more information on compression garments after abdominoplasty or any other questions you have about this procedure.
Further Reading about Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty Surgery
- Read Dr Kernohan’s Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty Surgery page
- Read Dr Kernohan’s Liposuction page
- Read Dr Kernohan’s Post Weight Loss Contouring page
- Read Dr Kernohan’s blog about How to Get a Flat Tummy
- Read Dr Kernohan’s blog about What is the Ideal Weight for Tummy Tuck– Abdominoplasty ?